24 Hour Urine Sample
Before your test
You must obtain a special collection container preparedby our laboratory staff. It may contain a preservative that may be caustic. Please do not spill the contents of the container.
If you have any questions, please call the Laboratory Information Center at (919) 784-6000.
Instructions for 24 Hour Urine Sample Collection
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
For proper evaluation of tests on a 24-hour urine sample it is important that a complete and accurate collection be made. Unless your physician has instructed otherwise, continue to maintain your usual diet, medication and liquid intake. Do not drink alcoholic beverages. Note: This is not a contest nor test to determine how much you can collect within a 24-hour period.
- Empty you bladder into the toilet when you get up in the morning and record this time and date on your container label. Do not include this urine in your timed collection.
- From then on collect all urine you pass and add it as soon as possible to the 24-hour container. Continue to collect in the container all urine you void during the day and night (for the next 24-hour period).
- The test ends 24 hours from the time you voided the first (uncollected) specimen the day before. Record this time on the container label as "Date & Time Completed". Note: If you are unable to collect a urine sample at the time you are to end your test do not extend the collection time.
- The urine container must be kept refrigerated or in a cool place during the collection (unless instructed otherwise by laboratory personnel).
- Return this 24-hour urine container to the laboratory as soon as possible after the collection is completed. Note: Depending on the test your physician ordered you may be required to have a sample of blood drawn when you return your container to the laboratory.