Bariatric Surgery (Weight Loss surgery)
Every day at Rex, we're helping people in Raleigh and throughout the Triangle on their weight loss journey. Whether through the help of a dietitian or personal trainer at Rex Wellness Centers or with assistance in making a physician referral for bariatric surgery options, Rex Healthcare can help.
Have you struggled with your weight and health for years? Are diet and exercise programs not helping you maintain good health? Rex Weight Loss Surgery in Raleigh may offer the solution.
At Rex, we currently have seven bariatric surgeons who perform several types of weight loss surgery. This includes laparoscopic gastric banding (LapBand or Realize products), which can be performed on an outpatient basis on main campus or at Rex Surgery Centers of Cary and Wakefield, or gastric bypass surgery, performed in Rex Hospital's state-of-the-art operating rooms in Raleigh. Eight inpatient rooms are ready to accommodate patients who have chosen weight loss surgery and expertly-trained staff are ready to care for the unique needs of a bariatric surgery patient.
Rex Healthcare has been recognized as a Blue Distinction Center for Bariatric Surgery®. Blue Distinction is a designation awarded by Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies to medical facilities that have demonstrated expertise in delivering quality healthcare. Learn more about the Blue Distinction Center for Bariatric Surgery®.
Rex has also been designated as a comprehensive accredited center by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP). This national accreditation is awarded to institutions that have passed stringent quality measures and demonstrated expertise in quality care. MBSAQIP is a joint program of the American College of Surgeons and the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.
For more information about weight loss surgery at Rex Healthcare in Raleigh, call:
919-784-SLIM (7546) or 1-877-DOWNLBS (369-6527).
Be Weight Aware!
First, use the interactive tool on the right to determine your Body Mass Index (BMI) along with your ideal weight and calorie intake.
These numbers, along with your answers to the quiz below, will help determine if you are an ideal candidate for weight loss surgery at Rex.
Take the Quiz
Preparing for Bariatric Surgery
• Do you have a Body Mass Index (BMI) greater or equal to 35, with one or more significant obesity-related conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, and arthritis, OR a BMI greater than 40, regardless of other medical conditions?
• Do you have a history of multiple failed weight-loss attempts by dieting, exercise, and medical therapies, as documented by your physician?
• Are you 18 to 65 years of age?
• Are your prepared to understand the procedure, its implications, and accept the operative risks?
• Do you have realistic expectations and motivation?
• Are you committed to lifelong maintenance programs for diet, vitamin supplementation, exercise, and follow-up with your healthcare team?
If you answered yes to the first question and other bulleted questions above, you may be a good candidate for weight loss surgery. Call our bariatric coordinator at 919-784-SLIM (7546) to explore your weight loss options.