College Volunteers and Interns
An opportunity to learn, the possibility to share and the chance to care - that's what being a student volunteer is all about.
At Rex, college and graduate-student volunteers have the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of our patients, their family members and caregivers by working in a variety of positions. Placement areas include, but are not limited to, patient care floors, food and nutrition, pharmacy, physical therapy and same-day surgery.
Students receive hands-on experience while working in a professional healthcare environment that is committed to providing superior customer service.
College Student Volunteer Program Requirements
- Be enrolled in a college undergraduate or graduate program on a full or part-time basis
- Volunteer at least one time per week for a four-hour shift. Most clinical volunteer opportunities are available M-F, 8:00 am - noon or noon - 4 pm. There are very few evening opportunities, 5 - 9 pm in clerical areas only.
- During Fall & Spring semester programs, must be willing to complete a two semester commitment (12 weeks each semester). During the Summer program, must be willing to volunteer for 10 weeks.
- Complete orientation guidelines and be trained in their job-specific area.
- Complete a pre-volunteer drug screen (beginning July 1, 2011)
- Adhere to all Rex policies and procedures, including dress code
- Be responsible for finding substitutes when unavailable for assigned shift .
Fall 2014 – Spring 2015 Program
September 8, 2015 - December 4, 2014 and January 11, 2016 – April 22, 2015 (Two semester commitment)
All applicants are welcome to submit an application online via the college volunteer application link. The application link will be available online beginning July 1, 2014 – August 8, 2014 for those interested in applying.
Summer 2015 Program
May 12, 2015 – August 8, 2015
All applicants are welcome to submit an application online via the college volunteer application link. The application link will be available online beginning February 24, 2015 – April 6, 2015 for those interested in applying.
Fall 2015 - Spring 2016 Program
September 15, 2014 - December 5, 2014 and January 12, 2015 – April 22, 2015
All applicants are welcome to submit an application online via the college volunteer application link. The application link will be available online beginning July 1, 2015 – August 7, 2015 for those interested in applying.
Rex Healthcare offers a variety of internship opportunities for area college students who are looking for ways to enhance their college experience and get a head start on gaining invaluable exposure for a career in health care.
Internships require a greater commitment of time than most volunteer assignments and students must have completed course work in the area of the assigned internship. The internships Rex offers are:
Food and Nutrition:
Lyn Haft, Internship Supervisor
Health Promotions and Exercise Science:
Anneke Hill, Internship Supervisor
Merchandising - Rex Korner Gift Shop:
Mary Upton, Internship Supervisor
Nicole Edmonds, Internship Supervisor
Deniz Ender, Internship Supervisor
Interested in Interning?
To get started, select the internship you are interested in and contact via e-mail that Internship Supervisor by clicking on his or her name above.