College Volunteers and Interns
An opportunity to learn, the possibility to share and the chance to care - that's what being a student volunteer is all about.
At Rex, college and graduate-student volunteers have the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of our patients, their family members and caregivers by working in a variety of positions. Placement areas include, but are not limited to, patient care floors, food and nutrition, pharmacy, physical therapy and same-day surgery.
Students receive hands-on experience while working in a professional healthcare environment that is committed to providing superior customer service.
College Student Volunteer Program Requirements
- Be enrolled in a college undergraduate or graduate program on a full- or part-time basis
- Volunteer at least one time per week for a four-hour shift
- Commit to work for two semesters
- Complete an all-day general Rex Healthcare orientation session and be trained in their job-specific area or department
- Complete a pre-volunteer drug screen (beginning July 1, 2011)
- Adhere to all Rex policies and procedures, including dress code
- Be responsible for finding substitutes when unavailable for assigned shift
- 2013 Summer Program (May 20 – August 9)
Applications submitted March 1st through April 12th will only be considered for participation.
- Fall 2013 – Spring 2014 Program (September 16 – May 2)
Must be able to commit to both fall & spring semesters to be considered for participation. Applications submitted between July 15th and August 16th will only be considered for review.
College InternshipsRex Healthcare offers a variety of internship opportunities for area college students who are looking for ways to enhance their college experience and get a head start on gaining invaluable exposure for a career in health care.
Internships require a greater commitment of time than most volunteer assignments and students must have completed course work in the area of the assigned internship. The internships Rex offers are:
Food and Nutrition:
Lyn Haft, Internship Supervisor
Health Promotions and Exercise Science:
Anneke Hill, Internship Supervisor
Merchandising - Rex Korner Gift Shop:
Mary Upton, Internship Supervisor
Dana Harris, Internship Supervisor
Deniz Ender, Internship Supervisor