Special Pre-Surgical Instructions
To prepare for your surgery, please follow the instructions below.
- No food or liquids are allowed after midnight the night before surgery. This includes water, gum or mints.
- No alcoholic beverages or tobacco products should be used 24 hours prior to surgery.
- Arrange for a family member, friend or caregiver to be present before, during and after surgery.
- Arrange for someone to drive you home and stay with you for 24 hours following surgery if you are going home the same day.
- Notify your surgeon if you are feeling ill or experiencing any health changes since your last visit.
If you need to cancel or reschedule your surgery, please notify your surgeon.
Day of Surgery
- Bathe/shower with an antibacterial soap (Dial or Safeguard).
- Brush your teeth, but do not swallow any water.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing.
- Do not wear polish on your fingers or toes.
- Do not wear makeup, lotion, body powder or deodorant.
- All body piercings must be removed.
- Leave all valuables at home, including wedding bands and other jewelry.
- Arrive at the registration desk at the main entrance two hours prior to your surgery (unless otherwise directed).
- Children 12 years and under should arrive 1 ½ hours prior to surgery. (Please bring a sippy cup or empty bottle for after the surgery as well as a favorite toy or blanket. If diapers are worn, please bring extras.)
- If you are spending the night, please leave your suitcase in the car until your room assignment has been made.
- If you wear eye glasses, contact lenses, dentures or hearing aids, please bring a case with you as these items cannot be worn during surgery.
Failure to follow instructions could result in the cancellation of your surgery.
- If you take aspirin or blood thinners (Plavix, Coumadin, Pradaxa, etc.), do not stop unless instructed by your heart doctor.
- Stop taking Advil, Aleve, ibuprofen, anti-inflammatories and herbal products at least seven days before your surgery. (Examples: Dong Quai, Echinacea, Ephedra, Ma-Huang, Feverfew, Fish Oil, Garlic, Ginger, Ginseng, Goldenseal, Kava-Kava, Licorice, Milk Thistle, Saw Palmetto, St. John's Wort, and Valerian).
- Continue taking vitamins as usual.
Day of Surgery
- Take your heart, blood pressure, seizure and reflux medications with a sip of water.
- Patients with diabetes should not take insulin or diabetic pills unless otherwise directed by your surgeon.
- Patients with breathing problems may bring inhalers and use as needed.
What to Bring
Bring these items with you to your pre-surgical testing appointment or the day of surgery:
- Health insurance card(s)
- Driver's license
- Cash, check or credit card if responsible for payment
- Complete list of medications, vitamins and supplements (include name, dosage and frequency)
- List of your allergies
- Complete list of your medical/surgical history
- Copies of any recent diagnostic tests performed (blood work, heart tests, X-rays)
- Physician's orders or other paperwork provided by your physician's office
- Advanced medical directives (living will or health care power of attorney)
Please visit the For Patients section of the website for other important information regarding your upcoming procedure.