Acute Care Surgery
To improve upon its ability to provide high-quality, cost effective care to the acute surgical patient, UNC REX Health Care launched the Acute Care Surgery (ACS) program. Similar to a hospitalist model and staffed by REX Surgical Specialists, the ACS program delivers dedicated, 24/7, on-site availability of a surgeon (also known as a surgicalist) for emergency surgery.
The ACS program results in many benefits for patients:
- Shorter time to evaluation/consultation
- Quicker time to the operating room (OR)
- Shorter average length of stay and lower overall cost of treatment
- Improved clinical outcomes
- Increased patient and family satisfaction