Protecting You from Infection
UNC REX Healthcare is committed to the health and well-being of all our patients. We would like to share with you how we prevent infection and how you can help.
The following steps should be taken to reduce chances of infection at your incision site:
- Do not shave or wax hair at the area where your incision will be at least three days before your scheduled surgery. Razors cause small cuts in your skin that can lead to infection.
- If your doctor wants any hair at the operative site removed it will be removed at the hospital using clippers, not razors.
- Your healthcare providers should clean their hands with soap and water or an alcohol hand rub before examining you. If you do not see them clean their hands please ask them to do so.
- To remove as many germs from your skin as possible, the skin at and around the area where the surgeon will make your incision will be cleaned with an antiseptic Chlorhexadine (CHG) disposable cloth. This will be done after you arrive at the hospital.
- Your doctor may order an IV antibiotic to be given to you before your incision is made. This is usually done once you arrive in the operating room.
- The doctors and nurses in the operating room will clean their hands and arms up to their elbows with an antiseptic solution just before your surgery and they will wear hair covers, masks, gowns and gloves during surgery.
- Before the surgery begins the skin around the operative site will be cleaned again using an antiseptic solution.