Financial Assistance Program
UNC REX Healthcare is committed to providing the best health services to everyone in the communities we serve - regardless of their ability to pay. UNC REX has established the Patient Financial Assistance program to provide financial assistance to our patients in need. Please carefully review criteria below.
The following areas currently accept Patient Financial Assistance:
- UNC REX Hospital Inpatient, Outpatient and Emergency Department services
- REX Express Care locations
- REX Rehabilitation and Nursing Care Centers of Raleigh and Apex (short term)
- North Carolina Heart and Vascular
- REX Thoracic Surgical Specialists
Only medically necessary UNC REX Hospital services are eligible for charity care consideration and you must be a NC resident.
Hospital services do not include: services provided by other physicians, radiologists, pathologists or medical professionals who may have treated the patient at UNC REX Hospital. Elective cosmetic and bariatric procedures are not eligible for charity care.
Hospital services include: UNC REX Hospital inpatient, outpatient and emergency room services, REX Express Care locations, REX Rehabilitation & Nursing Care Centers of Raleigh and Apex (short term only), REX Transport, REX Heart & Vascular Specialists, REX Thoracic Specialists and REX Outreach Lab. Hospital services do not include services provided by other physicians, radiologists, pathologists or medical professionals who may have treated the patient at REX Hospital. Elective cosmetic and bariatric procedures are not eligible for charity care.
Uninsured Discount (does not apply for case rates, bariatric and premium lens procedures and the full rate is due at registration).
It is the policy of UNC Health Care to provide medically necessary health care to the citizens of North Carolina, regardless of their ability to pay.
We ask that each patient make a good faith effort by:
- discussing your financial status with a financial services representative
- Setting up a payment plan as appropriate
- Seeking alternative methods of coverage
- Completing an application for any financial assistance programs, including Medicaid.
- Uninsured discount that allows any uninsured patient of any income level to receive a 40 percent discount for physician and hospital charges.
- Charity Care that allows a qualifying patient with an income at or below 250 percent of the Federal Poverty Guidelines to only be responsible for a copayment for eligible services.
- Catastrophic Charity Care that allows eligible patients who do not qualify for charity care and who have incurred significant hospital and physician costs to have their medical debt reduced to 20% of their yearly income.
Charity Care Program
The Charity Care Program ensures that all eligible individuals receive medically necessary care at UNC Health Care regardless of their ability to pay. The program provides patients with relief of most financial obligation to UNC Health Care if the patient’s income falls at or below 250 percent of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. A Charity Care co-payment is required. Patients must complete an application to be qualified for assistance. A separate application is required for Pharmacy benefits.
If you feel you may qualify or have any questions about financial assistance that may be available to you, please see a financial services representative in the clinic or service location or by calling the Financial Assistance Unit at 984-974-3425 or call toll free at 866-704-5286.
The Uninsured Discount extends a 40 percent discount for most self-pay patient accounts and does not require an application. The Uninsured Discount is automatically applied to all eligible services.
UNC Health Care Pharmacy Assistance Policy
The UNC Pharmacy Assistance Program ensures that North Carolina residents who receive care at UNC Health Care, lack prescription benefits, and have income less than 200 percent of the Federal Poverty Guidelines are able to obtain necessary prescription medications.
All patients are asked to pay co-payments of at least $4 per prescription. Patients must request assistance through a Pharmacy Assistance Counselor at the UNC Outpatient Pharmacies and complete an application to be qualified for assistance.
UNC Health Care Pharmacy Assistance Guidelines
- Requests for pharmacy assistance must be made to a Pharmacy Assistance Counselor at the UNC Outpatient Pharmacies.
- The Pharmacy Assistance Counselor will establish a 14-day temporary benefit for patients meeting screening criteria.
- Patients must complete a formal application for pharmacy assistance before exhausting the 14-day temporary benefit.
- Application for pharmacy assistance will be processed when all insurance benefits and/or financial aid from third party payors, state and federal assistance programs, charitable or endowment funds have been exhausted.
- Pharmacy assistance will be available only for prescription medications that are part of the UNC Health Care System drug formulary and in accordance with formulary requirements.
- The Pharmacy Assistance Counselor will render determination of eligibility in writing within 15 business days of receipt of a completed application.
- Patients denied pharmacy assistance may appeal the decision in writing to the Assistant Director of Pharmacy, Ambulatory Care Pharmacy Services, or by asking the Pharmacy Assistance Counselor for reconsideration of their application.
UNC Health Care reserves the right to amend the policies and procedures set forth on this page. The existence of these policies and procedures do not create any legal right for the benefit of any person. In short, while UNC Health Care remains committed to helping those in need, it must reserve its right to adapt its policies and procedures as circumstances warrant. UNC Health Care Patient Financial Services will make the ultimate decisions regarding the application of these policies and procedures.