Whether you are motivated to give back to your community or want to learn more about the health care field, you will find volunteering to be a rewarding and exciting experience at UNC REX Healthcare. Our college volunteer program offers students hands-on experience while working in a professional health care environment.
Placement areas may include, but are not limited to:
- Patient care floors
- Culinary and nutrition services
- Physical therapy
- Same-day surgery
2017 Summer Student Program
Applications for the 2017 Summer Program are available.
Rex is no longer accepting applications for the 2017 summer college student program. The next opportunity to volunteer will be in the fall academic program (September 5 – December 9) and spring academic program (January 14 – April 27). The online application will be available June 21, 2017 on the UNC Rex Healthcare website.
Thank you for your interest in the Rex College Student Program!
Interested in receiving college credit? Explore internship opportunities.
- Must be enrolled in a college undergraduate or graduate program on a full-time or part-time basis.
- Volunteer at least one time per week for a four-hour shift. Most clinical volunteer opportunities are available Monday - Friday from 8 am - Noon or Noon - 4 pm. Clerical areas offer evening opportunities from 5 - 9 pm.
- During fall and spring semester program, you must be willing to commit to two semesters (12 weeks each semester). During the summer program, you must be willing to volunteer for 10 weeks.
- Complete orientation guidelines and be trained in your job-specific area.
- Complete pre-volunteer drug screening.
- Adhere to all UNC REX policies and procedures, including dress code.
- Be responsible for finding substitutes when unavailable for assigned shift.
- Complete health assessment to screen for Tuberculosis (TB), Pertussis (Whooping Cough), Varicella (Chicken Pox) and Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR).
- Submission of two references from adults who are familiar with your work ethic and character.