Whether you are motivated to give back to your community or want to learn more about the health care field, you will find volunteering to be a rewarding and exciting experience at UNC REX Healthcare. Our college volunteer program offers students hands-on experience while working in a professional health care environment.
Placement areas may include, but are not limited to:
- Patient care floors
- Culinary and nutrition services
- Physical therapy
- Same-day surgery
Applications for the 2017 Fall – 2018 Spring College Program are available. The program is a two semester commitment beginning Fall semester (August 28 – December 1, 2017) through the Spring semester (January 15 – April 27, 2018). Applications will be accepted June 21 to August 2 at 5:00 p.m.
2017 Summer Student Program
Applications for the 2017 Summer Program are no longer available.
The Student Summer Program will be held from May 15 - August 5. Applications will be available online February 21 to March 30, 2017 at 5 p.m.
Interested in receiving college credit? Explore internship opportunities.
- Must be enrolled in a college undergraduate or graduate program on a full-time or part-time basis.
- Volunteer at least one time per week for a four-hour shift. Most clinical volunteer opportunities are available Monday - Friday from 8 am - Noon or Noon - 4 pm. Clerical areas offer evening opportunities from 5 - 9 pm.
- During fall and spring semester program, you must be willing to commit to two semesters (12 weeks each semester). During the summer program, you must be willing to volunteer for 10 weeks.
- Complete orientation guidelines and be trained in your job-specific area.
- Complete pre-volunteer drug screening.
- Adhere to all UNC REX policies and procedures, including dress code.
- Be responsible for finding substitutes when unavailable for assigned shift.
- Complete health assessment to screen for Tuberculosis (TB), Pertussis (Whooping Cough), Varicella (Chicken Pox) and Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR).
- Submission of two references from adults who are familiar with your work ethic and character.