REX Fur Friends
The REX Fur Friends program allows therapy dogs to visit patients for 5 to 10 minutes in the afternoon on Mondays through Fridays.
We’re looking for volunteers that enjoy people interaction, are detail-oriented and can walk long distances to lead our therapy certified four-legged friends and their handlers on patient floors to visit with patients and staff. Volunteers are needed Fridays, 1 to 4 p.m. and every third Monday, 1 to 4 p.m.
If you would like your dog to be a part of the Fur Friends program, your dog must:
- Be 1 year of age or older
- Be trained and certified in obedience by Alliance of Therapy Dogs, Pet Partners or Therapy Dogs International (owners must also maintain membership with either of these agencies)
- Pass the screening questionnaire to be completed by the owner and veterinarian
- Provide proof from a veterinarian of current vaccinations, overall good physical health and a stable, tolerant temperament without signs of aggression toward people or other dogs
- Be able to handle a reasonable amount of stress including loud noises, sudden movements and equipment (canes, walkers, etc.) used in the facility
- Receive on-going preventive therapy for fleas and heartworms