The VolunTEEN program at Rex provides an opportunity to learn, the possibility to share, and the chance to care. Members of the AFTER SCHOOL and SUMMER VolunTEEN programs are given the opportunity to work in a variety of positions that provide an important contribution to the care of our patients and guests at Rex Healthcare. Each VolunTEEN will be provided with a number of tools to help him or her develop successfully as a volunteer.
VolunTEEN Program Facts and Requirements
Rex Healthcare's VolunTEEN Program is designed to provide teens opportunities to contribute to the community while exploring a career in the medical field. The program also provides teenagers with practical experience and practice in developing good work habits. Applications are accepted from high school students aged 14-18. Students must be14 by August 1 and have completed their freshman year of high school to apply for the After School Program. Students must be 14 by May 1 and have completed their freshman year of high school to apply for the summer program.
VolunTEEN assignments are based on information provided by the teen during the interview process and may include areas such as patient care units, day care, recovery room, office support assignments and more.
After school program
Required to volunteer one day per week, Monday through Friday from 3 – 5 p.m. The after school program is for the entire academic school year (September- May). Students must be 14 by August 1 and have completed their freshman year of high school.
Required to volunteer one day per week, Monday through Friday for a four-hour shift,. The summer program is a ten week program (June-August). Students must be 14 by May 1 and have completed their freshman year of high school.
Other requirements include:
- Not leaving the hospital campus during work shifts without written permission from parents or guardians
- Wearing a uniform - a green golf shirt embroidered with the Rex logo, khaki pants and Rex ID badge (denim and shorts are not allowed)
- Turning 14 as of May 1 and completed freshman year of high school for summer program. This program is from June until August.
- Turning 14 as of August 1 and completed freshman year of high school for after-school program. This program is from September until May.
- Submit 2 references who are adults and are familiar with your character/work habits.
- Complete pre-volunteer drug screen.
- Complete health assessment to screen for TB (tuberculosis), MMR (measles, mumps, rubella), Pertussis (whooping cough, and Varicella (chicken pox).
- Attend an all-day Rex staff orientation.
Rex Healthcare's policy on family members working together prohibits teens whose parents work at Rex to be assigned to areas where their parents would have supervisory responsibilities for them or for work performed by the VolunTEEN staff member.
VolunTEEN 2014-2015 Programs
2015 Summer Program (June 15 - August 21)
The deadline for Volunteer Application Form Volunteer Application Form" VolunTEEN applications for the summer program is Monday, February 16, 2015. Late applications will not be accepted. In addition to a completed application, each applicant is required to provide two reference forms completed and mailed to Rex Volunteer Services by adults (21 years or older, who are not a legal guardian or relative) who have knowledge of the applicant’s work habits and character. Please print reference forms below.
Please note: Applications submitted between January 5, 2015 – February 16, 2015 will only be considered for the 2015 Summer Program.
2014-2015 After School Program (September 8, 2014 – May 22, 2015)
Rex is no longer accepting VolunTEEN applications for the 2014- 2015 After School Program
Applications for the 2015 – 2016 After School Program will be available May 4, 2015 until June 5, 2015.
Please note: Students must be 14 by August 1 and have completed their freshman year in high school to apply for this program.
Interested in Volunteering?
Contact a volunteer coordinator at Rex:
Attn: Volunteer Services
4420 Lake Boone Trail
Raleigh, NC 27607