The VolunTEEN program at Rex provides an opportunity to learn, the possibility to share, and the chance to care. Members of the AFTER SCHOOL and SUMMER VolunTEEN programs are given the opportunity to work in a variety of positions that provide an important contribution to the care of our patients and guests at Rex Healthcare. Each VolunTEEN will be provided with a number of tools to help him or her develop successfully as a volunteer.
VolunTEEN Program Facts and Requirements
Rex Healthcare's VolunTEEN Program is designed to provide teens ages 14 and older with opportunities to contribute to the community while exploring a career in the medical field. The program also provides teenagers with practical experience and practice in developing good work habits.
VolunTEEN assignments are based on information provided by the teen during the interview process and may include areas such as patient care units, day care, recovery room, office support assignments and more.
After school program - Required to volunteer one day per week, Monday through Friday from 3 – 5 p.m. The after school program is for the entire academic school year (September- May)
Summer Program - Required to volunteer one day per week, Monday through Friday for a four-hour shift,. The summer program is a ten week program (June-August)
Other requirements include:
- Not leaving the hospital campus during work shifts without written permission from parents or guardians
- Wearing a uniform - a green golf shirt embroidered with the Rex logo, khaki pants and Rex ID badge (denim and shorts are not allowed)
- Turning 14 as of August 1 for after-school program; as of May 1 for 10-week summer program
- Submit 2 references who are adults and are familiar with your character/work habits.
- Complete pre-volunteer drug screen.
- Complete health assessment to screen for TB (tuberculosis), MMR (measles, mumps, rubella), Pertusis (whooping cough, and Varicella (chicken pox).
- Attend an all-day Rex staff orientation.
Rex Healthcare's policy on family members working together prohibits teens whose parents work at Rex to be assigned to areas where their parents would have supervisory responsibilities for them or for work performed by the VolunTEEN staff member.
VolunTEEN 2014-2015 Programs
2014 Summer Program (June 16 - August 22)
Rex is no longer accepting VolunTEEN applications for the 2014 Summer Program. Applications for the 2015 Summer Program will be available online January 5, 2015 until February 16, 2015..
2014-2015 After School Program (September 8, 2014 – May 22, 2015)
Rex is no longer accepting VolunTEEN applications for the 2014- 2015 After School Program
Interested in Volunteering?
Contact a volunteer coordinator at Rex:
Attn: Volunteer Services
4420 Lake Boone Trail
Raleigh, NC 27607