VolunTEEN Program Facts and Requirements
VolunTEEN FactsRex Healthcare's VolunTEEN Program is designed to provide teens ages 14 and older with opportunities to contribute to the community while exploring a career in the medical field. The program also provides teenagers with practical experience and practice in developing good work habits.
VolunTEEN assignments are based on information provided by the teen during the interview process and may include areas such as patient care units, day care, recovery room, office support assignments and more. Teens accepted in the summer program receive an assignment for the scheduled 10 weeks. Teens accepted in the after-school program are assigned a position for the entire academic school year (September - May).
VolunTEEN RequirementsMembers of the VolunTEEN staff are required to volunteer one day per week, Monday through Friday from 3 - 5 p.m., during the after-school program. During the summer, students work one day a week for a four-hour shift. To promote good work habits, teens are required to report to work on time as scheduled with planned absences, including vacations, scheduled in advance.
Other requirements include:
- Not leaving the hospital campus during work shifts without written permission from parents or guardians
- Not smoking while volunteering at Rex
- Wearing a uniform - a green golf shirt embroidered with the Rex logo, khaki pants and Rex ID badge (denim and shorts are not allowed)
- Turning 14 as of August 1 for after-school program; as of May 1 for 10-week summer program
- Submit 2 references who are adults and are familiar with your character/work habits.
- Complete pre-volunteer drug screen.
- Complete health assessment to screen for TB (tuberculosis), MMR (measles, mumps, rubella), Pertusis (whooping cough, and Varicella (chicken pox).
- Attend an all-day Rex staff orientation.
Rex Healthcare's policy on family members working together prohibits teens whose parents work at Rex to be assigned to areas where their parents would have supervisory responsibilities for them or for work performed by the VolunTEEN staff member.
Interested in Volunteering?If you have reviewed the above VolunTEEN program facts and requirements with a parent or legal guardian and are still interested in joining our program, complete a VolunTEEN application.
VolunTEEN slots are limited. If you are scheduled for an interview, it is recommended that you bring a parent or legal guardian to accompany you. The interview lasts approximately 1 hour. All VolunTEENS selected to participate in the program are required to attend an all-day Rex staff orientation.
If you would like more information on the Rex VolunTEEN program contact a volunteer coordinator at Rex.
Attn: Volunteer Services
4420 Lake Boone Trail
Raleigh, NC 27607