"It's funny how dogs and cats know the inside of folks better than other folks do, isn't it?"
- Eleanor H. Porter
"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better."
- George Bird Evans
"Dogs have the soul of a philosopher."
"Dogs are not our whole life, they make our lives whole."
- Roger Caras
Interested in bringing your dog to visit Rex patients? Your pet must meet the following criteria:
- Be one year of age or older
- Be trained and certified in obedience by Therapy Dogs, Incorporated or Pet Partners (owners must also maintain membership with any of these agencies)
- Pass the screening questionnaire completed by the owner and veterinarian
- Provide proof from a veterinarian of current vaccinations, overall good physical health and a stable, tolerant temperament without signs of aggression toward people or other dogs
- Be able to handle a reasonable amount of stress including loud noises, sudden movements and equipment (canes, walkers, etc.) used in the facility
- Receive on-going preventive therapy for fleas and heartworm
Ready to Volunteer?Contact the animal-assisted therapy coordinator in the Volunteer Services Department at (919) 784-2297.