Pinworms are a type of parasite that lives in the digestive system of humans. Most people get infected by touching something that has pinworm eggs on it and then swallowing them. Pinworms can be annoying, but they rarely cause serious health problems.
Treatment can kill pinworms. It also helps keep you from getting infected again and from spreading the infection to other people.
Current as of: February 10, 2021
Author: Healthwise Staff
Medical Review:Adam Husney MD - Family Medicine & John Pope MD - Pediatrics & Kathleen Romito MD - Family Medicine
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2021 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.