Untreated water is drinking water that has not been chemically treated, filtered, or boiled to eliminate infectious bacteria, viruses, and parasites (such as Giardia lamblia). These organisms can cause diarrhea and illness.
Many infections that result from drinking untreated water go away by themselves after a few days, but some require treatment.
Current as of: February 11, 2020
Author: Healthwise Staff
Medical Review:William H. Blahd Jr. MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine & Adam Husney MD - Family Medicine & H. Michael O'Connor MD - Emergency Medicine
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2020 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.