College Volunteers and Interns
An opportunity to learn, the possibility to share and the chance to care - that's what being a student volunteer is all about.
At Rex, college and graduate-student volunteers have the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of our patients, their family members and caregivers by working in a variety of positions. Placement areas include, but are not limited to, patient care floors, food and nutrition, pharmacy, physical therapy and same-day surgery.
Students receive hands-on experience while working in a professional healthcare environment that is committed to providing superior customer service.
College Student Volunteer Program Requirements
- Be enrolled in a college undergraduate or graduate program on a full or part-time basis
- Volunteer at least one time per week for a four-hour shift. Most clinical volunteer opportunities are available M-F, 8:00 am - noon or noon - 4 pm. There are very few evening opportunities, 5 - 9 pm in clerical areas only.
- During Fall & Spring semester programs, must be willing to complete a two semester commitment (12 weeks each semester). During the Summer program, must be willing to volunteer for 10 weeks.
- Complete orientation guidelines and be trained in their job-specific area.
- Complete a pre-volunteer drug screen (beginning July 1, 2011)
- Adhere to all Rex policies and procedures, including dress code
- Be responsible for finding substitutes when unavailable for assigned shift .
Summer 2015 Program
May 12, 2015 – August 8, 2015
All applicants are welcome to submit an application online via the college volunteer application link. The application link will be available online beginning February 24, 2015 – March 30, 2015 for those interested in applying.
Fall 2015 - Spring 2016 Program
September 15, 2014 - December 5, 2014 and January 12, 2015 – April 22, 2015
All applicants are welcome to submit an application online via the college volunteer application link. The application link will be available online beginning July 1, 2015 – August 7, 2015 for those interested in applying.
Rex Healthcare offers a variety of internship opportunities for area college students who are looking for ways to enhance their college experience and get a head start on gaining invaluable exposure for a career in health care.
Internships require a greater commitment of time than most volunteer assignments and students must have completed course work in the area of the assigned internship. The internships Rex offers are:
Food and Nutrition:
Lyn Haft, Internship Supervisor
Health Promotions and Exercise Science:
Anneke Hill, Internship Supervisor
Merchandising - Rex Korner Gift Shop:
Mary Upton, Internship Supervisor
Nicole Edmonds, Internship Supervisor
Deniz Ender, Internship Supervisor
Interested in Interning?
To get started, select the internship you are interested in and contact via e-mail that Internship Supervisor by clicking on his or her name above.