Awards and Honors
Innovation is not new to UNC REX Healthcare.
UNC REX has a long history of ‘firsts’ for the Triangle and/or the state of North Carolina.
- The first Magnet hospital in the Triangle
- The first robotic bariatric procedure performed
- The first to complete an endovascular aortic graf
- The first to implement sentinel node procedures for breast cancer
- The first to be named a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence
- The first ACoS comprehensive cancer center
- The first to offer tomotherapy - with our partnership with UNC
Awards and Recognition
UNC REX Healthcare is proud of the many ways that our efforts to provide excellent patient care, be a good community partner and honor a quality workforce are recognized. We’re honored to share a few of our achievements:
- Achieved a five-star rating for quality of care from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). That puts UNC REX in the top nine percent of hospitals nationwide. UNC REX is one of 13 hospitals in North Carolina to receive five stars from CMS. (2020)
- Recognized as one of the World’s Best Hospitals in 2020 by Newsweek and Statista. The ranking recognizes the best medical institutions across 21 countries based on hospital recommendations from peers, patient experience scores, and key clinical performance indicators.
- Achieved second place for ranking in Business North Carolina’s 2020 Best Hospitals. The rankings are calculated using more than 25 metrics, including information provided by CMS, patient-satisfaction surveys, infection rates, readmission rates, and The Leapfrog Group.
- UNC REX Healthcare has been named one of the nation’s 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals by IBM Watson Health. The report spotlights the top-performing cardiovascular hospitals in the U.S. based on a balanced scorecard of publicly available clinical, operational, financial and patient satisfaction scores and data. (2020)
- UNC REX was named the #3 hospital in the Triangle and #5 hospital in North Carolina in the 2020-21 U.S. News & World Report “Best Hospitals” list. REX also had two ‘High Performing’ specialties. REX also received the top score of ‘High Performing’ in 10 Adult Procedures and Conditions. Only 37 hospitals nationwide (less than 1% of the hospitals evaluated), got the top rating in all 10 procedures and conditions. UNC REX was among that one percent.
- UNC REX is the only hospital in North Carolina – and one of only 32 hospitals nationwide – to receive straight A’s for patient safety since Leapfrog began grading hospitals for safety in 2012.
- NC Heart & Vascular received the 2020 Chest Pain – MI registry Platinum Performance Acheivement Award. This award recognizes a hospital’s success in implementing a higher standard of care for heart attack patients by meeting aggressive performance measures.
- NC Heart & Vascular named 2020 Guardian of Excellence Award winner by Press Ganey. The Guardian of Excellence Award recognizes top-performing health care organizations that have achieved the 95th percentile or above for performance in Patient Experience.
- Received a score of 100 and was designated a Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality by the National LGBTQ Healthcare Equality Index Human Rights Campaign Foundation. (2019)
- The first hospital in Wake County to receive a new Geriatric Emergency Department Accreditation, which recognizes excellent care provided for older adults, earned Level 3 “Bronze” accreditation from the American College of Emergency Physicians. (2019)
- Forbes ranked the organization as #12 on its Top 20 Best Employers in North Carolina. (2019)
- WRAL, a top rated local news station, awarded Best Hospital by the Voters’ Choice Awards. (2018 and 2019)
- Received national recognition from the American Heart Association as a Gold Plus STEMI Receiving and Silver NSTEMI recognition in its Mission: Lifeline program for improving patient care and outcomes for heart attack patients. (2019)
- Honored as one of the 100 Great Hospitals in America by Becker’s Hospital Review. (2018)
- NC Heart & Vascular Hospital was awarded the City of Raleigh Sir Walter Raleigh Award, TBJ Space Award and Associated Builders & Contractors of the Carolinas Eagle Award. (2018)
The Great 100
The Great 100 is a grassroots, peer recognition program that honors the nursing profession in North Carolina.
The Great 100 recognizes the importance of Registered Nurses in diverse practice settings and their impact on nursing. Since 1989, this professional organization has acknowledged more than 100 nurses throughout North Carolina who demonstrate excellence in practice and commitment to their profession.
UNC REX is proud to recognize all our past Great 100 winners:
Mary Kate Toma McConnell
Kathy von St. Paul