Awards and Honors
Innovation is not new to UNC REX Healthcare.
UNC REX has a long history of ‘firsts’ for the Triangle and/or the state of North Carolina.
- The first Magnet hospital in the Triangle
- The first robotic bariatric procedure performed
- The first to complete an endovascular aortic graf
- The first to implement sentinel node procedures for breast cancer
- The first to be named a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence
- The first ACoS comprehensive cancer center
- The first to offer tomotherapy - with our partnership with UNC
Awards and Recognition
UNC REX Healthcare is proud of the many ways that our efforts to provide excellent patient care, be a good community partner and honor a quality workforce are recognized. We're honored to share the following kudos, just to name a few:
- Earned first Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Five-Star rating, placing UNC REX in the top 9% of U.S. Hospitals (2017)
UNC REX is the only hospital in NC to receive straight “A” grades since The Leapfrog Group began a national hospital safety scorecard in 2012, making UNC REX one of only 68 hospitals nationwide to have earned this distinction (2018)
Business North Carolina ranked UNC REX Healthcare #2 Best Hospital in the state of N.C. (2018)
- NC Heart & Vascular Hospital at UNC REX awarded the City of Raleigh Sir Walter Raleigh Award, TBJ Space Award and Associated
Builders & Contractors of the Carolinas Eagle Award (2018)
- Downtown Raleigh Alliance named the NC Heart & Vascular Hospital its Development Project of the Year (2018)
- Wake Technical Community College Foundation honored UNC REX as its Corporate Benefactor of the Year (2018)
- Becker’s Hospital Review named Bill Roper, MD and Steve Burriss to its non-profit hospital & health system CEO to Know list (2017)
- UNC REX awarded BCBSNC Blue Distinction Specialty Care designation for bariatric surgery, cardiac care, knee & hip replacement, spine surgery and maternity care (2018)
- US News & World Report released its 2017-2018 Best Hospitals rankings. UNC REX was graded as “High Performing” in nine procedures and conditions including Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair, Aortic Valve Surgery, Colon Cancer Surgery, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), Heart Bypass Surgery, Heart Failure, Hip Replacement, Knee Replacement and Lung Cancer Surgery. (2017)
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Home Health Care Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HHCAHPS) survey star ratings, which measures patients’ experiences with home health agencies, awarded Rex Nursing and Rehabilitation Care Center of Raleigh and Apex a Five-Star rating for overall quality. (2018)
- Strategic Healthcare Partners (SHP) awarded Rex Home Services the SHP Best Superior Performer award for ranking in the top 20% in the SHP national HHCAHPS survey benchmark for overall satisfaction as measured from the patient's point of view. (2017)
- The Triangle Business Journal honored local Healthcare Heroes including UNC REX Jayne Byrd, RN (Healthcare Executive), Francis Castiller, MD (Physician) and Marilyn Willis (Volunteer) for their outstanding contributions in healthcare. (2018)
- The National Research Corporation (NRC) named UNC REX Healthcare a Consumer Choice Award winner every year from 2004 – 2018.
- Received the 2018 Get With The Guidelines Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award from the American Heart Association for outstanding commitment to high-quality stroke care using the latest scientific evidence. (2018)
- Chris Morris named National Child Safety Technician of the Year and UNC REX named non-permanent checking station of the year. (2018)
- News & Observer named cardiac nurse leader Janice Laurore, RN, Tarheel of the Week. (2018)
- N.C. American College of Emergency Physicians NCACEP honored Ryan Lamb, MD with its 2018 NC Medical Director Award.
- Culinary Director Jim McGrody winner of the 2018 Silver Plate Award in Healthcare Food Service by International Food Service Manufacturers Association.
- Web.com Tour named the Rex Healthcare Foundation its national Charity of the Year. (2017)
- WRAL awarded UNC REX Best Hospital by the Voters’ Choice Awards. (2017)
The Great 100
The Great 100 is a grassroots, peer recognition program that honors the nursing profession in North Carolina.
The Great 100 recognizes the importance of Registered Nurses in diverse practice settings and their impact on nursing. Since 1989, this professional organization has acknowledged more than 100 nurses throughout North Carolina who demonstrate excellence in practice and commitment to their profession.
UNC REX is proud to recognize all our past Great 100 winners:
Mary Kate Toma McConnell
Kathy von St. Paul