Awards and Honors
Innovation is not new to UNC REX Healthcare.
UNC REX has a long history of ‘firsts’ for the Triangle and/or the state of North Carolina.
- The first Magnet hospital in the Triangle
- The first robotic bariatric procedure performed
- The first to complete an endovascular aortic graf
- The first to implement sentinel node procedures for breast cancer
- The first to be named a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence
- The first ACoS comprehensive cancer center
- The first to offer tomotherapy - with our partnership with UNC
Awards and Recognition
UNC REX Healthcare is proud of the many ways that our efforts to provide excellent patient care, be a good community partner and honor a quality workforce are recognized. We're proud to share the following honors, just to name a few:
- Business North Carolina Names UNC REX Healthcare 2015’s Best Hospital in the State, the third consecutive time with this honor
- UNC REX received a 2015 Gold Quality Achievement Award from the American Heart Association for achieving 85% or higher composite adherence to all Mission: Lifeline® STEMI Receiving Center Achievement indicators for consecutive 24 month intervals, and 75% or higher compliance on all Mission: Lifeline® STEMI Receiving Center quality measures to improve the quality of care for STEMI patients.
- UNC REX Healthcare was named a Silver Best Regional Hospital by U.S. News & World Report for ten specialties in 2014 – Cancer, Diabetes & Endocrinology, Gastroenterology and GI Surgery, Geriatrics, Gynecology, Nephrology, Neurology & Neurosurgery, Orthopedics, Pulmonary and Urology
- Recognized as a ‘Stage 6 hospital’ on the Electronic Medical Record Adoption Model by the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS) along with UNC Hospitals and Chatham Hospital. As of November 2014, only 17 percent of the U.S. hospitals tracked by HIMSS have achieved Stage 6 recognition.
- Earned the Excellence Recognition from Prevention Partners, validating that UNC REX has achieved the highest standards in workplace health and prevention by scoring straight A’s in all four WorkHealthy America topics: tobacco cessation, physical activity, nutrition, and culture of wellness.
- Honored with the Triangle Business Journal’s 2014 Healthcare Heroes Lifetime Achievement Award for Chairman of the Board, A. Dale Jenkins. Also had four additional Healthcare Heroes Finalists. 2013 Triangle Business Journal’s Healthcare Heroes recognition for Lifetime Achievement was bestowed to Cardiovascular Pioneer Tift Mann, M.D.
- Honored as one of the country’s “100 Great Hospitals” by Becker’s Hospital Review, the only hospital in Wake County to receive the designation in 2013; also recognized by Becker's Hospital Review as one of the top "100 Hospitals With Great Orthopedic Programs” for 2013 and 2014; and top “100 Cardiac Hospitals” in 2013
- Named one of the top 50 N.C. Family-Friendly Companies by Carolina Parent Magazine in 2014, earning that recognition 16 consecutive times
- Named one of the country's 100 Great Hospitals and 100 Hospitals with Great Women’s Health Programs by Becker's Hospital Review for 2012
- The National Research Corporation (NRC) named UNC REX Healthcare a Consumer Choice Award winner every year from 2004 – 2016
- Named one of the Triangle Business Journal ‘s Healthiest Employer recognitions in 2013
- Named to the Best Places to Work list by Triangle Business Journal in 2010, 2011 and 2012
- Recognized by The Joint Commission in 2012 for being one of only 620 hospitals nationwide with exemplary performance in the areas of heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia and surgical care.
- Only local not-for-profit honored at the 2012 Triangle Business Journal’s Better World Awards for Corporate Philanthropy
- Honored in 2012 with the 100 Best Places to Work in Healthcare designation by Becker's Hospital Review and Becker's ASC Review
- Recognized by The Talent Board, a non-profit organization focused on the promotion of a positive experience for job candidates, two consecutive years 2011 and 2012 and one of the best organizations in 2012 for learning and development nationally by Learning Elite.
- Recognized by the North Carolina Breastfeeding Coalition with the 2012 Breastfeeding-Friendly Business Award
- UNC REX Healthcare Rehabilitation and Nursing Care Center in Apex achieved a top, five-star rating from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services in 2012
- Earned the State of North Carolina Governor's Award for Excellence for its Workplace Wellness programs for five consecutive years
- Recognized by local readers of Metro Magazine with the following 2012 Metro Bravo Awards: Standing Ovation to REX Wellness Centers, UNC REX Hospital, REX Women's Center and REX Cardiac Center. Metro Bravo REX Emergency Room and Honorable Mention for UNC REX Cancer Care
- Named a Platinum Fit-Friendly Company by the American Heart Association for four consecutive years
- Earned the Platinum Rule award from Triangle Business Journal for Best Places to Work
Magnet Award Recognition
In 2006, UNC REX Healthcare became the first hospital in the Triangle to be awarded Magnet status by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). UNC REX was re-designated Magnet status for the third consecutive time in 2015.
The Magnet Recognition Program recognizes health care organizations for excellence in nursing care. This award puts UNC REX’s nurses in an elite group of the top two percent of nurses in the nation.
The characteristics that distinguish UNC REX as a Magnet organization are:
- Quality of nursing leadership
- Organizational structure
- Management style
- Personal policies and programs
- Professional models of practice
- Quality of care
- Quality improvement
- Consultation and resources
- Community and health care organization
- Nurses as teachers
- Image of nursing
- Interdisciplinary relationships
- Professional development
The Great 100
The Great 100 is a grassroots, peer recognition program that honors the nursing profession in North Carolina.
The Great 100 recognizes the importance of Registered Nurses in diverse practice settings and their impact on nursing. Since 1989, this professional organization has acknowledged more than 100 nurses throughout North Carolina who demonstrate excellence in practice and commitment to their profession.
UNC REX is proud to recognize all our past Great 100 winners:
Mary Kate Toma McConnell
Kathy von St. Paul