REX Hospital Open, Triangle’s Premiere Professional Golf Tournament, Returns to Raleigh
Charity golf tournament raises money to support care and services at UNC REX Hospital
RALEIGH, N.C. – May 12, 2021 – The REX Hospital Open will return to Raleigh June 3-6, a year after the Triangle’s premiere professional golf tournament was paused in response to the pandemic.
The REX Hospital Open is the largest and most successful annual charity fundraiser for the REX Healthcare Foundation, supporting patient care and services at UNC REX Hospital. It’s also an important stop on the PGA TOUR’s Korn Ferry Tour. This year, 156 professional golfers will compete for four days at The Country Club at Wakefield Plantation, culminating in the final round and trophy presentation on Sunday, June 6.
This year’s tournament will feature a first: free admission for all fans, sponsored by Drive Shack.
“I am excited about this year’s tournament and for fans to get back outside and enjoy world-class golf,” said Ernie Bovio, president of UNC REX. “Our priority is the health and safety of the players, staff, volunteers, spectators and sponsors. We will follow all public health recommendations from the CDC, NC DHHS and UNC Health’s infectious diseases experts to ensure everyone can enjoy a successful tournament.”
Proceeds from this year’s REX Hospital Open will support the Patient Assistance Fund and Cancer Center Angel Fund at UNC REX. Those funds help patients cover costs related to their treatments, such as transportation to appointments, medications and more. During the past 34 years, charity golf has raised $10 million for patients, programs and services at UNC REX.
“We are proud to help sponsor the REX Hospital Open and support its charitable mission, while enabling some of the world’s best golfers to compete in Raleigh,” said Brad King, tournament chairman and CEO of Stitch Golf, a Raleigh-based company that produces premium golf bags, luggage and apparel.
Stitch is the presenting sponsor of the Wednesday Pro-Am and also a Premier Partner of the REX Hospital Open, along with First Citizens Bank, Brasfield & Gorrie and the Carolina Hurricanes.
Other highlights of the 2021 REX Hospital Open:
- UNC REX will offer one of its title sponsor exemptions to the top-ranked player in the Advocates Professional Golf Association (APGA) Collegiate Ranking for each of the next two years (2021, 2022).
- The 156 professional golfers will compete for a total purse of $650,000, with the champion winning $117,000.
- Championship Sunday (June 6) will be Military Appreciation Day, with military vehicles and personnel on site.
- The Carolina Hurricanes Public Viewing Bench will offer a great view of No. 18 green for spectators.
- Food and drink sponsors will be available on site, including R&D Brewing and Bojangles.
Some of the professional golfers expected to compete in this year’s REX Hospital Open with ties to North Carolina:
- Trevor Cone (No. 125) – born in Charlotte, lives in Concord
- Stephen Franken (No. 90) – played at N.C. State / born and lives in Raleigh
- Brad Fritsch – played at Campbell University / lives in Holly Springs
- Max Greyserman (No. 50) – played at Duke
- J.T. Griffin (No. 77) – born in Wilson
- Justin Lower (No. 40) – lives in Charlotte
- Andrew Novak (No. 17) – born in Raleigh / lives in Mt. Pleasant
- Pontus Nyholm – plays at Campbell, won the Stitch Intercollegiate to earn a sponsor’s exemption
- Carl Pettersson – played at N.C. State
- Kyle Reifers (No. 93) – played at Wake Forest / lives in Charlotte
For more information, including details on how to volunteer and reserve tickets, visit rexhospitalopen.com.
ABOUT THE REX HOSPITAL OPEN
Professional golfers from around the world travel to The Country Club at Wakefield Plantation every year to participate in the Korn Ferry Tour’s REX Hospital Open. The tournament’s charitable efforts, coupled with its family and fan-friendly environment, attract thousands of golf fans each spring. In 2017 the Rex Healthcare Foundation was named Charity of the Year on the Korn Ferry Tour for its community efforts. In the past 34 years, charity golf has raised $10 million for patients, programs and services at UNC REX Healthcare.
ABOUT THE KORN FERRY TOUR
Founded (1990), owned and operated by the PGA TOUR, the Korn Ferry Tour identifies and develops those players who are ready to compete and win on golf’s biggest stage. In 2013, the Korn Ferry Tour became The Path to the PGA TOUR with all 50 available PGA TOUR cards coming through the Tour and the season culminating at the Korn Ferry Tour Finals. This season marks the 30th year of competition on the Korn Ferry Tour. Three out of four PGA TOUR members are Korn Ferry Tour alumni. Tour alumni have won more than 500 PGA TOUR titles, including 24 major championships and eight PLAYERS Championships. To learn more about the PGA TOUR, the Korn Ferry Tour and to follow the season-long quest for a PGA TOUR card, visit PGATOUR.COM, or follow the Tour on social media via Instagram (@KornFerryTour), Twitter (@KornFerryTour) and Facebook (facebook.com/KornFerryTour).