When you or someone you love is in need of immediate medical care, trust the caring and experienced physicians, nurses, technicians and specialists at UNC REX Healthcare’s Emergency Department (ED), also known as an ER.
Accredited Chest Pain Center
UNC REX Healthcare is home to the Triangle's first accredited chest pain center
With 24-hour emergency services and state-of-the-art technology, UNC REX's ED provides superior emergency care for our patients and the community.
Our 24,000 square-foot emergency services facility includes:
- Three major resuscitation rooms
- Two triage rooms for preliminary evaluation/initial assessments
- Two pediatric treatment rooms
- 10-bed minor treatment area for non-urgent conditions
- One decontamination room
Services We Offer
UNC REX emergency services can address:
- All life-threatening situations, treated at the UNC REX ED
- Less-critical injuries in the UNC REX ED Minor Treatment area (services include evaluation, treatment and discharge for patients with non-urgent minor emergency needs)
- Heart conditions in the UNC REX ED Chest Pain Center, home of the Triangle's first accredited chest pain center
Our ED also features several enhancements to make your visit as smooth as possible. These enhancements include:
- Acute Care Surgery program staffed 24/7 by “surgicalists” to service the acutely ill surgical patient
- A new, computerized triage and tracking system to improve patient flow
- Reduced wait times with state-of-the-art bedside registration
- Wireless communication for enhanced staff communications
- Patient care advocates to guide ED patients through the emergency process and keep loved ones informed about the patient's condition
- In-department emergency radiology center to speed the X-ray process
When on-location emergency services are needed for your athletic or community event, consider the REX Emergency Response Team. Part of the UNC REX menu of emergency services, this team of dedicated professionals is ready to act with quality coverage throughout the Triangle.
When Should I Visit the Emergency Department?
Unsure about whether you need urgent or emergency care?
Here are some general guidelines to assist you in deciding whether to visit the emergency department:
- Chest pain
- Difficulty breathing
- Obvious fractures
- Severe bleeding, abdominal pain, or headaches
- Pregnancy complaints
- Severe lacerations/amputations
UNC REX Express Care provides fast, convenient urgent care attention for unexpected illnesses and minor injuries. Learn more about when to visit the UNC REX Express Care instead of the UNC REX ED.