REX Mobile Mammography
Our mission is to take 3D screening mammograms to areas where women have difficulty accessing healthcare. REX Mobile Mammography also provides a convenient option for business and other organizations so that all women may benefit from mammography's early detection capabilities.
The results of your confidential mammogram are sent to you and your personal physician. If you require follow-up care, you may discuss options with your physician.
REX Mobile Mammography is made possible through generous funding from Revlon, Inc., the Kay Yow Cancer Fund, the REX Hospital Open, the American Breast Cancer Foundation and the REX Healthcare Foundation. Mammography services funding is available for qualified women utilizing the mobile mammography unit through generous funding from Susan G. Komen for the Cure, NC Triangle Affiliate.
If you are interested in having the mobile mammography unit visit your place of business, please request a REX Mobile Mammography Unit site visit.
There are requirements to be eligible for a mobile mammography screening:
- Must have an active physician (seen in the last year)
- Must not have any abnormal symptoms (i.e. pain, new lump or nipple discharge – please contact your physician for follow up if you have any of these symptoms.)
- Must not be pregnant or have breast feed in the last 12 weeks
- Must be at least 35 years of age (confirm coverage with insurance carrier)
- Must not have had a mammogram in the last 12 months (confirm coverage with insurance carrier if less than 12 months)
- If you have a personal history of breast cancer, please contact your physician for a referral to one of Wake Radiology UNC REX Healthcare Mammography Locations. We do not have a Radiologist on our mobile unit or the ability to provide diagnostic testing onsite
How Should I Prepare
Please bring a disc or films from any prior mammograms, if done at a facility other than at any of our Wake Radiology UNC REX Healthcare locations. If you would like UNC REX to request these on your behalf, please complete our medical records release form at the time of your appointment. It can take up to 4 weeks to obtain films from out of state.
- On the day of the examination, we will have wipes available for those who have to wear Deodorant prior to the mammogram. Please do not wear talcum powder, deodorant, lotion or perfume under your arms or on your breasts. These substances can cause artifacts on your mammogram making the images harder to interpret. Deodorant will also be available to you after your exam
- Wear two-piece clothing so that you only have to remove your top and bra for the examination
- Please review screening mammogram criteria to confirm eligibility
- Schedule an appointment with the organization hosting the mobile screening
- Please complete all required fields including pertinent history during the pre-registration process: prior surgeries, menstrual cycle, hormone use, family history of breast cancer
When Do I Receive My Results
Screening mammography results will be mailed to the address and faxed to the physician you provided during registration within two weeks. If you are called back for additional mammographic views, please do not be alarmed. In some cases additional views are needed in order for the Radiologist to make an accurate diagnosis. If additional imaging is recommended a member of our staff will contact you personally to discuss the next step of care. The additional imaging (diagnostic mammogram and possibly breast ultrasound) can be done at one of our Wake Radiology UNC REX mammography locations by calling 919-232-4700, or at an outside facility with a referral from your physician.