At UNC REX, we understand the impact chronic pain can have on someone’s life. One of our goals is to help minimize your pain and restore your quality of life by maximizing your level of function and independence. Not all pain management programs are the same. If you or a member of your family suffers with either acute or chronic pain, UNC REX Hospital offers a comprehensive and cost-effective pain management services.
Quality of Program
At UNC REX, we offer you the most comprehensive chronic pain management services available in the area. You will receive high quality care from board certified, fellowship trained physicians who specialize in diagnostic and interventional pain medicine. Our experienced nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and staff nurses are highly skilled in treating and caring for patients with a variety of pain conditions. Together our clinical team offers individualized treatment programs to fit the needs and lifestyle of each patient.
We rely on careful assessment and accurate diagnosis to establish the best course of treatment that will address your pain symptoms. During your initial consultation one of our pain specialists will review your medical records and history, conduct a thorough physical assessment and work with you to find the source of your pain. If necessary we will perform additional diagnostic tests. Once a treatment plan is established, our physicians will communicate regularly with your referring doctor, primary care physician, and case manager to assure your continuity of care.
Conditions We Treat
Our team of specialists is highly trained in the most progressive treatments and therapies available. Conditions we treat include:
- Back Pain: Acute & Chronic
- Neck Pain: Acute & Chronic
- Chronic post-traumatic & surgical pain
- Cancer pain
- Post herpetic neuralgia - (Shingles pain)
- Complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS)
- Sacroiliac joint pain
- Arthritis related pain
- Muscle spasm pain
- Phantom limb pain
- Diabetic and non-diabetic neuropathy
- Vascular insufficiency pain
- Migraine (Botox)
- Headache (non-migraine)
Services We Offer
Whether you need a single type of treatment or a multidisciplinary approach, REX Pain Management Center will provide you with the most effective program of care. Treatment options include but are not limited to:
- Trigger point injections
- Epidural steroid injections
- Facet blocks
- Selective nerve root blocks
- Joint injections
- Sacroiliac joint injections
- Blood patch
- Implanted medication pumps
- Radiofrequency denervation
- Disc decompression
- Spinal cord stimulation
- Medication management
- Referrals as appropriate for physical therapy
- Referrals as appropriate for behavioral pain management including:
- Relaxation / Mediation therapy
- Smoking cessation
- Individual and family counseling
Preparing for Your Treatment
The REX Pain Management Center is open Monday through Friday, 7:30 am – 4 pm. One of our physicians is on-call for evenings, weekends and holidays after hours.
- Please plan to arrive early for your appointment to take care of processing.
- Bring your insurance card or evidence of worker's compensation claim and a picture I.D. with you to each appointment.
- Bring a list of your current medications and allergies to each appointment.
- Fill out our Pain Management Questionnaire. Download Form
Follow all special instructions to prepare for your procedure including:
- Do not eat solid food for 8 hours before your procedure.
- You may have clear liquids up to 4 hours before your procedure; may take morning medications with sips of water.
- You must have a driver to transport you home.
- If you have been put on antibiotics prior to your procedure, call out office.
- IF YOU ARE ON ANY BLOOD THINNERS OTHER THAN ASPIRIN, CALL OUR OFFICE FOR DISCONTINUATION INSTRUCTIONS.
REX Pain Management Center medical records are maintained by the REX Healthcare Health Information Management Department. If you need copies of your records, call 984-215-6950.
We can help you stop the pain now! Join the thousands of patients who have already been helped by REX Pain Management Center. Don't spend another day in pain. To be considered for self-referral and schedule an initial consultation contact our Referral Coordinator at 919-784-6252.
You may also have your primary care physician send a referral to our office by mailing or faxing medical records, insurance and demographic information to:
REX Pain Management Center
3050 Duraleigh Road, Suite 102
Raleigh, NC 27612
Patient Referral Form