Are You a Candidate?
Be Weight Aware
First, use the interactive tool on the left to determine your Body Mass Index (BMI). These numbers, along with your answers to the quiz below, will help determine if you are an ideal candidate for weight loss surgery at UNC REX.
Take the Quiz!
Do you have a Body Mass Index (BMI) greater or equal to 35, with one or more significant obesity-related conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, and arthritis, OR a BMI greater than 40, regardless of other medical conditions?
- Do you have a history of multiple failed weight-loss attempts by dieting, exercise, and medical therapies, as documented by your physician?
- Are you 18 to 65 years of age?
- Are your prepared to understand the procedure, its implications, and accept the operative risks?
- Do you have realistic expectations and motivation?
- Are you committed to lifelong maintenance programs for diet, vitamin supplementation, exercise, and follow-up with your healthcare team?
If you answered yes to the first question and other bulleted questions above, you may be a good candidate for weight loss surgery.