Breast Health: Discover the Difference at UNC REX
One in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer. Our goal at the UNC REX Comprehensive Breast Care Program is to be there for each one of them. We bring compassionate care to you with several convenient locations across the Triangle. From routine screenings and diagnosis, to treatment and recovery, your journey is our journey.
We are one of the few health care providers accredited by both the Commission on Cancer (CoC) as a Comprehensive Community Cancer Program and by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC) as a Comprehensive Breast Center.
Services We Offer
We offer comprehensive breast health services including:
Our Comprehensive Approach
The REX Comprehensive Breast Care Program is focused on the care and support you need, including mammography/imaging, surgical services and cancer treatment.
Advanced Breast Imaging
Early detection is an important factor in the successful treatment of breast cancer. Mammograms aid in early detection and are recommended by the American Cancer Society for women every year starting at age 40. UNC REX Healthcare utilizes the latest breast-imaging technologies, including:
- Digital Mammograms – Used as a screening tool to detect breast cancer in women with no symptoms, or to diagnose cancer after other symptoms are found.
- 3D Breast Tomosynthesis Mammography (3D mammograms) – Used in addition to or as a follow-up to a 2D mammogram to detect breast cancer in women with no symptoms, or to diagnose cancer after other symptoms are found.
- Breast Ultrasound (Breast Sonography) – Used in addition to or as a follow-up to a mammogram, allowing radiologists to see if a lump is a solid mass or a fluid-filled cyst.
- Breast Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) – Used in addition to a mammogram for women with a high risk of breast cancer or to help doctors get more information after a breast cancer diagnosis; also used to evaluate breast implants.
When you get a mammogram at UNC REX Healthcare, we’ll also provide information on your breast density. More than 40 percent of women have dense breast tissue, which can make cancer more difficult to detect.
Schedule your mammogram online or call 919-784-3419.
Exemplary Surgical Treatment
If you’ve been diagnosed with breast cancer, trust our multidisciplinary team of specialists to provide you with high-quality, compassionate care.
Our board-certified surgeons meet with patients one-on-one at our dedicated breast surgery clinic, REX Breast Care Specialists. The clinic, an extension of REX Surgical Specialists, is conveniently located in the same building as the REX Breast Care Center. Dr. David Eddleman, Dr. Rachel Jendro, Dr. Nancy Crowley and Dr. Barbara Dull offer more than 40 years of combined experience, expertise, and compassion caring for patients and their breast care needs.
REX Breast Care Specialists is an integrated part of the REX Comprehensive Breast Care Program. Our breast surgeons work closely with breast radiologists at REX Breast Care Centers and with oncologists at UNC REX Cancer Care. Additionally, as part of UNC Health Care, we offer access to leading research, technology and an expanded specialty network. Our program offers the latest breast care treatments, including:
- Minimally invasive breast biopsies
- Ultrasound-guided and stereotactic techniques
- Breast-conservation therapy for breast cancer
- Second opinions regarding treatment plans and management of complex breast conditions
- Sentinel lymph-node mapping and biopsy
- Mastectomy with simultaneous breast reconstruction
- MammoSite balloon catheter insertion for partial breast radiation
To schedule an appointment, please call our direct appointment scheduling line at (919) 784-4160.
Advanced, Trusted Breast Cancer Care
If you need breast cancer treatment, you will benefit from the expertise and experience of our entire team of specialists at UNC REX Cancer Care. We are accredited by the Commission on Cancer (CoC) of the American College of Surgeons and the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers. These accolades demonstrate our commitment to providing you with the highest standard of care. Our innovative, collaborative approach is extended through our partnership with the UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, allowing us to provide patients with access to extensive clinical research.
Through our multidisciplinary approach to care, we will provide you with a care team that will build a treatment plan uniquely tailored to your needs and lifestyle. Our board-certified oncologists, nurses, patient care navigators, social workers, dietitians and other support staff will meet regularly to discuss your treatment plan and manage your care.
Your core team will stay with you throughout treatment and may include a:
As part of our comprehensive approach to breast care, you will also have access to:
Learn more about cancer services and treatment offered through the UNC REX Cancer Care or call 919-784-3105.