Pregnancy & Parenting Classes
Whether you’re expecting your first child or you just need a child care refresher, you can expect the best in family education from UNC REX Healthcare. The REX Women’s Center offers a comprehensive series of classes designed to help you with all aspects of pregnancy, delivery and returning to life at home.
Download our REX Women's Center Pregnancy Information Packet for additional information about delivering your baby at UNC REX, caring for yourself during and after your pregnancy, and caring for your growing family.
Childbirth Classes and Family Events
Our classes are scheduled to meet your needs. Be sure to register early in order to find the best class for your schedule and delivery date. Classes fill up quickly, so sign up in your FIRST trimester for classes to be taken in your THIRD trimester.
- Preparing for Childbirth- This class covers relaxation, breathing techniques, medication, self-care and methods of childbirth. It includes our Baby Care class and a REX Women’s Center tour. This class should be taken during the third trimester to help both you and your partner prepare for the birth of your first baby. You may choose between a five-week series, one day, or two half days.
- Preparing for Childbirth Review- Refresh your skills as seasoned parents. This class is designed for expectant parents who already have a child. It covers labor and delivery, breathing techniques and preparing siblings for the new arrival.
- Labor Support- This supplemental class will prepare expectant mothers and their labor partners with additional mental and physical strategies for coping with labor using non-medical alternatives. Prerequisite: “Preparing for Childbirth” or “Preparing for Childbirth Review”
- Baby Care Basics- Tops include: newborn characteristics, bathing and feeding. This class is offered within the “Preparing for Childbirth” class, but can be taken separately.
- Preparing to Breastfeed - Expectant couples learn tips about breast feeding. Led by a REX RN/board certified lactation consultant.
- Working and Breastfeeding (Postnatal Class) - Taught by a board-certified lactation consultant, this class will teach moms how to adjust to returning to the workplace, pumping and the safe storage of breast milk.
- CPR for Family and Friends- This class teaches rescue skills in CPR and relief of foreign-body airway obstruction. During this course, you will receive valuable information about the AHA Chain of Survival, signs of a heart attack, stroke and choking. You will also learn about ways to avoid sudden infant death syndrome and some of the most common fatal injuries in infants and children. PLEASE NOTE: This is not a certification course.
- Big Brother/Big Sister Class- Help the big brother or big sister prepare for the changes ahead. Classes are designed for children ages three and up, and are divided into age group. Class includes a tour of the REX Women’s Center (parents must accompany children)
- Women’s Center Tours- Take a walk-through tour of the Women’s Center to learn about the facility and what to expect while you’re here. Tours led by REX Volunteers are held the first Tuesday and third Monday evenings of the month. There is also a “lunch time” tour available each month. A tour of the Women’s Center is included in the “Preparing for Childbirth Class” and “Big Brother/Big Sister Class.”
- Cost: Free
- Visit our class sign-up site and select "tour of the Women's Center." (The tour is complimentary but must create an account to register).
- Choosing Child Care Seminar- In this class you’ll learn: the steps you should take during your child care search, about available financial assistance and tax credits, about available community resources, about licensing regulations for childcare programs, and about accreditation standards and key indicators of high quality. The seminar is presented by the Child Care Service Association. Their nationally accredited resource and referral division assists families in the search for quality child care.
Fitness Classes (For Mom)
- Prenatal Hatha Yoga - This class is designed to provide the experience and enjoyment of yoga for expectant mothers through their entire pregnancy. This prenatal series helps to gently strengthen the uterus and pelvis muscles, improve digestion and promote spine mobility; all of which will increase comfort and enhance relaxation. The breathing techniques, postures and conscious relaxation learned in class promote a healthy pregnancy and help prepare for labor and delivery. A doctor’s note is required to participate. The class is a six-week session.
- Prenatal Fit4Baby®- This a prenatal fitness class designed to strengthen the body for all the changes it will experience during pregnancy, delivery and beyond. Classes are interval-based, combining elements of strength training, cardio and stretching/balancing exercises as well as deepening the connection between mom and baby.
Modifications are available to increase or decrease the intensity and impact of all exercises- making this a safe and effective workout for moms of all fitness levels. Pregnancy is the perfect time to commit to you and your baby's health!
- Classes are held at the REX Women's Center and are taught by FIT4MOM Midtown Raleigh.
- Cost: $75 per 6-week session. Use promo code SWEAT4TWO at check out to save 15% on purchase of multiple sessions
Register for Fit4Baby® Classes
Car Seat Safety
Not only is it the law, but properly buckling your child in their car seat offers parents peace of mind and ensures your child’s safety. The REX Women’s Center offers free child passenger safety classes taught by a certified child passenger safety technician.
This free, 2-hour class will teach you how to correctly select, install and use a child safety seat. It will also review recommendations from the American Academy of Pediatrics as well as the NC law. Please feel free to bring your child safety seat to the class.
If you’ve already purchased and installed your car seat, you may choose to have your installation inspected. Our child passenger safety technicians are happy to inspect your car seat and assist you in making any necessary corrections.
Inspection hours are:
- Mondays - Fridays: 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
Appointments are not necessary, but you can call 919-784-1802 prior to your visit to verify that a technician is on duty. We recommend that you have your car seat installed and inspected at least 2-3 weeks prior to your expected delivery date.
For more information on car seat safety, view our Car Seat Safety pamphlet.
Moms Supporting Moms
is a support group for women who are experiencing anxiety, depression and/or adjustment difficulties related to childbirth and new motherhood. Share encouragement, hope, feelings, experiences and support in a safe, positive atmosphere.
All meetings are led by experienced counselors in postpartum depression.
For more information, times and locations contact 919-454-6946.
Sign Up for Pregnancy & Parenting Classes
In July 2017 we launched a new online registration system for registering for pregnancy & parenting classes. Please note you must create an account before adding any classes to your cart and completing the payment steps.
For registration issues or for other questions, please call 919-784-2145.