Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
All parents hope that their baby will be born healthy and without complications. In the event that your infant does require more than routine care, you can count on the neonatal specialists in our Level IV, Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
Coordinated Care for Your Baby
Our team recognizes the value of empowering families in their most important role as parents. During your baby’s stay in the NICU, you can expect mutual collaboration, close communication, and individualized care and support.
Our commitment to families is further acknowledged by two national achievement awards for “support of the family experience.” In 2014, the REX Special Care Nursery also ranked in the top 10 percent of Special Care Nurseries for parent satisfaction of the quality of care.
Through our multidisciplinary approach to care, neonatal patients also have access to radiologists, community support specialists, physical therapists, nutritionists and social workers.
Each year, our neonatology team cares for 450 to 500 newborns with critical or special care needs that are diagnosed during pregnancy or discovered upon delivery.
Our neonatology services include:
- Pre-birth consultations for high-risk pregnancies with neonatologists
- Neonatologist attendance at high-risk deliveries
- 24/7 specialized neonatal inpatient care by neonatologists, nurse practitioners, neonatal nurses and respiratory therapists
- Ongoing care for babies in the NICU
- Newborn hearing screenings
- Well baby exams
- Coordination with primary pediatricians, specialists, case managers, and community support services
- Family Advisors (consisting of former NICU parents) that provide support to families with a baby in the NICU
- Immediate medical care by a specialist (Neonatologist or Neonatal Nurse Practitioner) when they are needed
Neonatology services are available on-site 24 hours a day, allowing parents to take comfort in the fact that their children are receiving around-the-clock care.