First Time User? Sign Up Now
First Time User? Enroll now.
Home > Health Library > Shock
Shock means that your body and its functions are shutting down. The body goes into shock when it can't get enough blood to the vital organs like your heart or brain. This may be caused by a sudden illness, an injury, or bleeding. Sometimes even a mild injury will lead to shock.
Shock is a life-threatening condition. If a person develops signs of shock, call 911 or other emergency services and begin home treatment immediately.
Adults and older children usually have several symptoms of shock, including:
Babies and young children also usually have several symptoms of shock, including:
Prompt home treatment can save the person's life.
Current as of:
June 26, 2019
Author: Healthwise StaffMedical Review: William H. Blahd Jr. MD, FACEP - Emergency MedicineAdam Husney MD - Family MedicineKathleen Romito MD - Family Medicine
Current as of: June 26, 2019
Author: Healthwise Staff
Medical Review:William H. Blahd Jr. MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine & Adam Husney MD - Family Medicine & Kathleen Romito MD - Family Medicine
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2020 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
10208 Cerny St.
Raleigh, NC 27617
4201 Lake Boone Trail
Raleigh, NC 27607
1505 SW Cary Parkway
REX Healthcare of Cary, Suite 300
Cary, NC 27511
2076 NC Highway 42 W.
Johnston Professional Plaza, Suite 100
Clayton, NC 27520
603 Beaman St.
Clinton, NC 28328