Modified from a recipe by The Kitchen - Makes 4-6 servings
Make this gluten free by using GF oats; make it vegetarian/vegan by using the flax in place of egg, non-dairy butter or not using the butter at all, using a non-dairy milk and using maple syrup or raw sugar.
- 1 Tbl butter, reserved
- ¼ cup real maple syrup- reserved
- 1 Tbl oil (light flavored olive oil, canola oil, grapeseed oil, your choice!)
- 1 large egg or 1 Tbl flaxseed meal mixed with 3 Tbl water
- 3 C milk or no- dairy milk
- ¼ cup sweetener (brown sugar, maple syrup, raw sugar, coconut sugar, honey, your choice!)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (can add nutmeg too if you like the flavor- make it ½ tsp each)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 C oats (old-fashioned rolled or quick oats)
- ½ cup chopped pecans (or nuts of your choice)
Grease an 8x8 inch pan and set aside
Mix the oil, egg or flax seed, milk, sweetener and vanilla together in a medium bowls. Add in the spices, baking powder, salt and oats and mix. Add in the nuts and pour into the prepared pan. Refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake about 45 minutes or until set in the middle. Melt the reserved butter and drizzle with the warm butter and reserved syrup before serving.
Nutrition information based on 6 servings:
256-305 calories (lower if you don’t use nuts)
7-12g fat (lower without nuts)
284 mg sodium
34-42g carbohydrate (lower if you don’t add the extra maple syrup)