PGY1 - Pharmacy Residency
The UNC REX Hospital PGY1 Pharmacy Residency prepares postgraduates to begin practicing as experienced clinical pharmacists in the institutional practice setting or to enter a PGY2 residency or fellowship in their desired specialty.
The UNC REX Hospital PGY1 Pharmacy Residency will provide postgraduate pharmacists an accelerated learning opportunity in inpatient and ambulatory pharmacy operations, clinical competency development, clinical research, leadership skill development, and much more.
There are 4 PGY1 positions available. The Program start date is June, 18, 2018.
UNC REX is a community hospital of UNC Healthcare. We are an accredited stroke and chest pain center, and a Bariatric Center of Excellence as well as a comprehensive community Cancer Center. We have achieved re-designation as a Magnet hospital for nursing. UNC REX specializes in oncology, heart and vascular and surgical services. The pharmacy department has been recognized by ASHP in the Pharmacy Practice Model Initiative (PPMI) and as a finalist of the 2009 Award for Excellence in Medication-Use Safety.
The Residency Program was originally accredited by ASHP as a pharmacy practice residency in 2013, receiving a 3-year accreditation. We are currently accredited by ASHP through 2019.
Goals and Objectives
Our program is designed to provide clinical training in the areas where the hospital and pharmacy department have identified strengths. These include cardiology, oncology, critical care, surgery and antimicrobial stewardship.
PGY1 Program Design
Required Rotations (1 month):
- 1 week general hospital orientation, clinical orientation, and clinical computer orientation
- 1 month pharmacy orientation
- Critical Care
- Emergency Medicine
- Antimicrobial Stewardship
- Internal Medicine
Elective Rotations (1 month; choice of 3):
- Ambulatory Care
- Administration II
- Critical Care II
- Cardiology II
- Oncology II
- Neonatal ICU
- Transitions of Care
- Drug Information
- Opportunity to apply for the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy Teaching Certificate Program
- Each resident serves as the primary preceptor for 1-2 IPPE PharmD candidates
- Multiple teaching opportunities include co-precepting APPE students, didactic lecturing and continuing education presentations
- Create individual Research Advisory Committees
- Complete and present a residency research project to peers at the American Society of Health System Pharmacists (ASHP) Midyear Clinical Meeting, Southeastern Residency Conference (SERC), and Wake Area Health Education Center (AHEC) Resident Spring Symposium
- Prepare a manuscript suitable for publication
- Residents are required to staff the pharmacy every fourth weekend (8 hour shifts on Saturday and Sunday), and one weekday evening each week in addition to their rotation hours excluding the first two weekends in December to permit attendance at the ASHP Midyear meeting
- Residents will be expected to staff at one UNC REX minor holidays and one UNC REX major holidays as defined from UNC REX Policies and Procedures, based on department needs.
How to Apply
The application deadline is January 1, 2018. Complete applications include the following:
- An application form submitted through the PhORCAS Application Portal
- Letter of Intent
- Curriculum Vitae
- Pharmacy College transcripts
- Three PhORCAS Standardized Recommendations
All applicants much be registered with the National Matching Service. Employment application will be required after match results are posted.
- B.S. in Pharmacy or Pharm.D. from an ACPE Accredited College of Pharmacy
- North Carolina Pharmacist licensure by July 1, 2018
- An on-site interview is required
- To be considered for employment, you must presently have an employment authorization that is valid throughout the residency period. We do not sponsor international visas.
Contact Information for PGY1 Program:
Stephanie Baumhover, PharmD, BCPS
PGY1 Residency Program Director
Inpatient Clinical Services Pharmacy Manager
UNC REX Hospital
4420 Lake Boone Trail
Department of Pharmacy
Raleigh, NC 27606