UNC REX PGY2 Residency in Cardiology
PGY2 Pharmacy Residency Program in Cardiology Purpose Statement
The UNC REX PGY2 pharmacy residency program in Cardiology builds on Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) education and the knowledge and skills gained in a PGY1 pharmacy residency programs to contribute to the development of clinical pharmacists in a specialized area of practice. The UNC REX PGY2 residency in Cardiology provides residents with opportunities to function independently as practitioners by conceptualizing and integrating accumulated experience and knowledge and incorporating both into the provision of patient care. Residents who successfully complete the UNC REX PGY2 pharmacy residency in Cardiology are prepared for advanced patient care, academic, or other specialized positions, along with board certification in cardiology.
PGY2 Program Description
UNC REX Healthcare is the largest community hospital in the UNC Healthcare system. We are an accredited primary stroke and chest pain center, and a Bariatric Center of Excellence as well as a comprehensive community Cancer Center. We are the only hospital in Wake County to earn an above average rating for heart attack survival and the only hospital in the Triangle region to earn a 5-star rating from the Centers of Medicare Services. UNC REX Healthcare is a premier hospital for acute cardiac care and the main regional referral center. We have a full-spectrum of emergency cardiac care programs, such as IABP, PVAD, CABG, adult ECMO, as well as structural heart disease procedures, TAVR, Mitral clip, WATCHMAN, and state-of-the-art cardiac catheterization labs, diagnostic, and screening technology.
The PGY2 resident in Cardiology at UNC REX Healthcare will provide cardiovascular pharmacy services within inpatient critical care, intermediate care, and procedural patient care areas. In the outpatient setting, the PGY2 resident in Cardiology will work within the Clinical Pharmacist Practitioner model by providing daily service in the areas of cardiovascular medication management and monitoring.
About the Site
The new North Carolina Heart & Vascular Hospital opened in March 2017. This eight-story, 306,000 square foot building will bring together UNC REX Healthcare's Heart and Vascular services in one location.
Every aspect of the facility was designed with the comfort of patients and their families in mind. The design is based on research, best practices and input from UNC REX Healthcare patients, physicians, clinicians and caregivers.
In addition, the hospital has the latest technology for patient care and procedures, as well as a state of the art learning institute and demonstration kitchen. Dedicated education space will make it easier for UNC REX Healthcare physicians to continue providing education to other physicians throughout the world, add educational programs for patients and the community, and increase in-house training and education for staff.
- 114 Private patient rooms
- 72 Intermediate/telemetry beds
- 22 Cardiovascular surgery intensive care beds
- 20 Cardiovascular intensive care beds
- 22 Acuity adaptable beds
- 8 Cardiac catheterization (cath), vascular and interventional radiology labs
- 2 Electrophysiology labs
- 2 Hybrid procedure rooms
- 10-bed post-acute care unit (PACU)
- 48-bed prep and recovery unit
- Cardiology, vascular medicine and surgery, and cardiac surgery clinics
- Inpatient dialysis care
- Cardiac rehabilitation facility
PGY2 Program Design
Required Rotations: (9 months)
- Orientation (1 month)
- General Cardiology (2 months)
- Cardiothoracic Surgery ICU (1 month)
- Cardiac Medicine ICU (2 months)
- AMI/ HF Transition of Care (1 month)
- Vascular Medicine/Cardiology Ambulatory care ( 2 months)
Elective Rotations: (choose 3)
- Cardio-Oncology (1 month)
- Structural Heart (1 month)
- MSICU ( 1 month)
- Neuroscience ICU (1 month)
- Emergency Medicine (1 month)
- Admin ( 1 month)
- Research Project
- Inpatient Cardiology QA:
- Fall- Anticoagulation monitoring service
- Spring- Antiarrhythmic/EP monitoring service
- The resident will staff every fourth weekend (8 hour shifts on Saturday an Sunday) in the clinical critical care and cardiology patient care areas, and will take on-call for Vascular Services on the weekends staffed in the spring.
- The resident will perform inpatient cardiology QA activities one evening per week, with the exception of December and February.
- Serve as primary preceptor for two Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience (APPE) students on general cardiology and critical care cardiology rotations
- The PGY2 resident in Cardiology will co-precept PGY1 residents during the second months of general cardiology and CICU, if PGY1 resident availability allows.
- Teaching opportunities at school(s) of pharmacy (Campbell University College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences or UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy) will be available as small and large group teaching sessions for the pharmacy practice skills lab
- An optional teaching certificate program is available through Campbell or UNC for those who have not yet completed one
- The resident will present continuing education on cardiology topics to interdisciplinary teams, including providers, nursing, pharmacists, and pharmacy technicians. Education of patients and family members on disease states and therapy plans is offered as a core experience on multiple rotations.
- The resident will select and lead initiatives for cardiovascular services at UNC REX Healthcare, be involved in quality assurance and education of pharmacy department, and participate and present at the cardiovascular service line meetings.
- The pharmacy resident in PGY2 Cardiology will attend local pharmacy meetings (NCAP), health system meetings, as well as 2 national meetings, including ASHP Midyear and either ACC, ACCP, HFSA, or SCCM meeting. The resident may participate in recruiting events for PGY1 and PGY2 residencies and attend residency showcases as needed.
How to Apply
The application deadline is January 1, 2020. Complete applications include the following:
- An application form submitted through the PhORCAS Application Portal
- Letter of intent
- Curriculum Vitae
- Pharmacy College transcripts
- Three PhORCAS Standardized Recommendations
All applicants much be registered with the National Matching Service. Employment application will be required after match results are posted.
Contact Information for PGY2 Cardiology Program:
Oksana Kamneva, PharmD, BCCP, BCPS-AQ Cardiology
Critical Care and Cardiovascular Pharmacy Clinical Coordinator
Director of PGY-2 Pharmacy Residency in Cardiology
Department of Pharmacy
UNC REX Healthcare
4420 Lake Boone Trail, Raleigh, NC 27607