UNC REX PGY2 Residency in Ambulatory Care
PGY2 Pharmacy Residency Program in Ambulatory Purpose Statement
UNC REX PGY2 pharmacy residency program in Ambulatory Care builds on Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) education and PGY1 pharmacy residency programs to contribute to the development of clinical pharmacists in a specialized area of practice. UNC REX PGY2 residency in Ambulatory Care provides residents with opportunities to function independently as practitioners by conceptualizing and integrating accumulated experience and knowledge and incorporating both into the provision of patient care or other advanced practice settings. Residents who successfully complete the UNC REX PGY2 pharmacy residency in Ambulatory Care are prepared for advanced patient care, academic, or other specialized positions, along with board certification in Ambulatory Care and licensure as a Clinical Pharmacist Practitioner (CPP).
There is one PGY2 in Ambulatory Care position available. The program start date is July 1.
PGY2 Program Description:
UNC REX Healthcare is the largest community hospital in the UNC Healthcare System. We are an accredited primary stroke and chest pain center, and a Bariatric Center of Excellence as well as a comprehensive community Cancer Center. We are the only hospital in Wake County to earn an above average rating for heart attack survival and the only hospital in the Triangle region to earn a 5-star rating from the Centers of Medicare Services. UNC REX Healthcare is a premier hospital for acute cardiac care and the main regional referral center. We have a full-spectrum of structural heart disease procedures TAVR, Mitral clip, WATCHMAN, and state-of-the-art cardiac catheterization labs, diagnostic, and screening technology.
UNC REX has pharmacists licensed as Clinical Pharmacist Practitioners stationed in ten ambulatory care clinics across the region. These pharmacists partner with North Carolina Heart & Vascular providers to lead independent patient visits and collaboratively manage patient care. UNC REX partnerships in the region allow for diverse teaching and learning experiences for our resident in Ambulatory Care.
The PGY2 resident in Ambulatory Care at UNC REX Healthcare will provide transitional and ambulatory care pharmacy services for patients in a variety of clinical settings. The resident will lead independent visits and function as an integral member of the multidisciplinary care team.
PGY2 Program Design:
Required Rotations: (Total 9 months)
- Orientation (1 month)
- Hyperlipidemia (6 weeks)
- Anticoagulation I (6 weeks)
- Heart Failure (1 month)
- Family Medicine/Rural Health (1 month)
- Population Health (1 month)
- Project (1 month)
Elective Rotations: (choose 3)
- Ambulatory Oncology (1 month)
- Geriatrics (1 month)
- Ambulatory Clinic in Specialized Population (1 month)
- Inpatient-focused Transitions of Care (1 month)
- Advanced Ambulatory Admin (1 month)
- Anticoagulation II
- Research Project
- UNC Shared Services Specialty Pharmacy
- Staffing- Rex Pharmacy of Raleigh
- The resident will staff every fourth weekend in the Rex Pharmacy of Raleigh outpatient pharmacy
- Serve as Primary Preceptor for two Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience (APPE) students on ambulatory care rotations
- The PGY2 resident in Ambulatory Care will co-precept PGY1 residents on ambulatory care rotations if available. Precepting PGY1 will serve as the first phone call and topic discussion leader instead of the primary preceptor
- Teaching opportunities at school(s) of pharmacy (Campbell University College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences or UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy) will be available as small and large group teaching sessions for the pharmacy practice skills lab
- An optional teaching certificate program is available through Campbell and UNC for those who have not yet completed one
- The resident will present Continuing Education on Ambulatory Care topics to interdisciplinary teams, including providers, nursing, pharmacists, and pharmacy technicians. Education of patients and family members on disease states and therapy plans is offered as a core experience on multiple rotations, including primary care.
The resident will select and lead initiatives for Ambulatory Care Workgroup at UNC REX Healthcare, be involved in quality assurance and education of pharmacy department.
The pharmacy resident in PGY2 Ambulatory Care will attend local pharmacy meetings (NCAP), health system meetings, as well as 2 national meetings, including ASHP Midyear and APhA meeting. The resident may participate in recruiting events for PGY1 and PGY2 residencies and attend residency showcases as needed.
The resident earns Paid Time Off (PTO) at the same rate as a new co-worker. PTO is earned every two weeks, coinciding with pay periods. If time off from the residency is taken for any reason except funeral leave, (holiday, vacation, absence), PTO will be used.
The resident may be granted up to 10 days of education leave for the ASHP Midyear Meeting as well as another national meeting in ambulatory care specialty.
Residents are eligible for a comprehensive benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Flexible Spending Accounts/Health Savings Account, 403(b), 529 Plan, Life Insurance, Tuition Assistance, Paid Time Off, EAP, as well as a travel stipend for meetings.
Onsite complimentary parking is available on the main hospital campus and outpatient clinics.
Residents are given educational leave with pay and support travel to attend and present at the ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting and Cardiology specialty national meeting.
- Complimentary and required Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) and Basic Life Support (BLS) training
- Dedicated office space
- Monogrammed lab coats
- UNC-issued laptop
- Complimentary access to the Wake AHEC Digital Library
- Complimentary mobile access to Lexicomp and Pharmacist’s Letter
- Opportunities to participate in select Learning and Organizational Effectiveness classes
- Discounted access to our comprehensive Rex Wellness Centers
- Discounted meals from our award winning chefs!
- Merchandise discounts at select retailers
- Doctor of Pharmacy degree from ACPE accredited school of pharmacy, AND
- Completed ASHP-accredited PGY-1 residency in pharmacy practice or community-based pharmacy, AND
- license to practice pharmacy in the state of North Carolina as of July 1
- On-site interview
How to apply:
The application deadline is January 1. Complete applications include the following:
- An application form submitted through the PhORCAS Application Portal
- Letter of intent
- Curriculum Vitae
- Three PhORCAS Standardized Recommendations
- Pharmacy College transcripts
All applicants much be registered with the National Matching Service. Employment application will be required after match results are posted.
Sarah Russell, PharmD, BCACP, CPP
Clinical Ambulatory Care Pharmacist
Director of PGY2 Pharmacy Residency in Ambulatory Care
Department of Pharmacy
UNC REX Healthcare
4420 Lake Boone Trail, Raleigh, NC 27607
About the site:
The new Heart & Vascular Hospital opened in March 2017. This eight-story, 306,000 square foot building will bring together UNC REX Healthcare’s Heart and Vascular services in one location.
Every aspect of the facility was designed with the comfort of patients and their families in mind. The design is based on research, best practices and input from UNC REX Healthcare patients, physicians, clinicians and caregivers.
In addition, the hospital has the latest technology for patient care and procedures, as well as a state-of-the-art learning institute and demonstration kitchen. Dedicated education space will make it easier for UNC REX Healthcare physicians to continue providing education to other physicians throughout the world, add educational programs for patients and the community, and increase in-house training and education for staff.
- 114 Private patient rooms
- 72 Intermediate/telemetry beds
- 20 Cardiovascular intensive care beds
- 22 Acuity adaptable beds
- 8 Cardiac catheterization (cath), vascular and interventional radiology labs
- 2 Electrophysiology labs
- 2 Hybrid procedure rooms
- 10 Bed post-acute care unit (PACU)
- 4 8 Bed prep and recovery unit
- Cardiac intensive care
- Kardia Café
- Inpatient pharmacy
- Cardiology, vascular medicine and surgery, and cardiac surgery clinics
- Inpatient dialysis care
- Cardiac rehabilitation facility