Understanding Your Bill
You may receive bills from UNC REX Healthcare, as well as from other independent health care providers who delivered services to you at UNC REX Healthcare. The following questions and answers will help you better understand the various bills that you may receive and tell you who to contact if you have any questions.
What bills should I expect to receive from my visit to UNC REX Hospital?
You will receive a bill from UNC REX Hospital for facility services including, but not limited to:
- other testing services (sometimes called ancillary services)
- operating room services
- medical supplies
- room and board
- other services provided by the hospital
You also will receive one or more bills for professional (physician) services including, but not limited to:
- emergency room visits
- interpretations of laboratory, radiology, and other tests
- surgical procedures, anesthesiology, and consultations performed by physicians, and in some instances, physician assistants and nurse practitioners.
These bills may come from:
- UNC REX Healthcare for its physicians
- One or more physician groups under contract to provide services at the hospital (anesthesia, emergency room, OB hospitalists, pathology, or radiology)
- Your community-based physician or surgeon with privileges to provide services at the hospital
What bills will I receive if I have scheduled a surgery at UNC REX Hospital, my surgeon works with REX Surgical Specialists, and I receive anesthesia, radiology and pathology services?
You could expect to receive five different bills, one each from:
- UNC REX Hospital for facility services
- UNC REX Hospital for the professional services of REX Surgical Specialists (your surgeon)
- North American Partners in Anesthesia - Raleigh, PLLC, for the professional services of your anesthesia providers
- Wake Radiology Consultants, for the professional services of interpreting your radiology test(s)
- REX Pathology Associates, PA, for the laboratory services of evaluating your specimen(s)
If UNC REX Hospital participates in my insurance network, does that mean that everyone who provides care to me at UNC REX Hospital participates in my insurance network, too?
No, not necessarily. We try our best to make sure that the independent physician groups we contract with to provide services to you participate in the same insurance networks that UNC REX Healthcare does, but it’s always best for you to check with each of your providers - or your insurance carrier - to make sure you know before you schedule services.
The following independent physician groups currently provide contracted services at UNC REX Healthcare:
- North American Partners in Anesthesia - Raleigh, PLLC
Billing/Insurance Inquiries: (888) 280-9533, press #5
- Raleigh Emergency Medicine Associates, Inc.
Billing/Insurance Inquiries: 800-225-0953
- OB Hospitalist Group
Billing/Insurance Inquiries: 888-442-8454
If your physician or surgeon has his or her own practice in the community, and is not employed by UNC REX Healthcare, then you also should ask your physician or surgeon whether he or she participates in your insurance carrier’s network.
If my physician/surgeon participates in my insurance network, does that mean that UNC REX Hospital participates in my insurance network too?
No. UNC REX Hospital is in network with most major commercial insurance carriers, and participates in the Medicare and Medicaid programs. Please ask your insurer – or us – in advance of your visit, whenever possible. You may be responsible for any charges not covered by your insurer.
Who can I call with questions about bills or insurance coverage?
You can always call your insurance carrier about insurance coverage questions. You can also call us at 800-594-8624 for questions about your UNC REX Healthcare bills or insurance coverage for those bills.
If you have questions about bills or insurance coverage for services provided at UNC REX Healthcare by your anesthesiologist, emergency room physician, pathologist, radiologist, OB hospitalist, or your community physician, please contact them directly at the numbers listed above.
How can I find out how much my visit will cost?
You may call 919-784-3382, and a representative will assist you. UNC REX Healthcare can often provide you with a cost estimate for your visit, but the actual cost will depend on the services you receive.
You also can find the amounts that UNC REX Healthcare (and other facilities) charge for the most common inpatient admissions by visiting the NC DHHS Transparency in Health Care Costs website.
What do I do if I have no insurance or need help paying for my visit to UNC REX Healthcare?
UNC REX offers financial assistance to North Carolina residents whose income falls at or below 250% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. You can get more information by calling the Financial Assistance Unit at (984) 974-3425 or toll-free at (866) 704-5286, or visit our Financial Assistance Program page.