Clinical Pastoral Education
Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) is an interfaith professional theological education for ministry utilizing the clinical method of learning. The focus of the CPE program at UNC REX Healthcare is on pastoral reflection, pastoral formation and pastoral competence.
Students in CPE develop a new awareness of themselves as persons and pastors, of the needs of those with whom they minister and of the systems in which they give and receive care. From theological reflection on specific human conditions, they gain a new understanding of ministry. Within the interdisciplinary team process of helping people, they develop skills in inter-personal and inter-professional relationships.
UNC REX is accredited by ACPE to offer:
Level I CPE (Internship)
Level I addresses advanced competencies and issues of pastoral function, pastoral reflection and pastoral integration.
- Extended Unit (September - May) A part-time program for two academic semesters. This unit requires 14 hours a week with educational seminars being held one morning or afternoon each week. It is designed to offer a more flexible schedule for students. Occasional overnight and weekend on-call duty is required.
- Summer Unit (June - August) A full-time program is offered each summer. This unit requires 40 hours a week plus overnight and weekend on-call duty.
- Evening Unit (January – June) A 20 week, part-time program. Thus unit requires 20 hours per week with educational seminars being held two evenings a week. Occasional overnight and weekend on-call duty is required.
- Completed ACPE application
- Screening interview with an ACPE certified educator or other qualified person
Level II CPE (Residency)
Level II addresses advanced competencies and issues of pastoral function, pastoral reflection and pastoral integration. A pastoral specialization may be offered at this level.
- Residency (August - June, break, August - June) A part-time program consisting of four units of CPE over a two-year period with an eight week, uncompensated break during the summer. This program provides a more in-depth learning experience for persons wishing to learn the art of pastoral care in preparation for institutional or parish ministry. The educational and clinical requirements include 24 hours a week. Salary and benefits are provided. Completion of at least one prior unit of CPE is required.
- Completed ACPE application
- Completion of one prior unit of CPE
- On-site interview with UNC REX supervisory staff
Supervisory CPE addresses the development of competence in the art, theory, and practice of pastoral supervision.
- Supervisory CPE is an on-going program designed for qualified persons seeking to become ACPE certified educators. This program focuses on the development of competence in the art, theory, and practice of pastoral supervision.
- Completed ACPE supervisory CPE application
- Completion of four prior units of CPE
- On-site interview with UNC REX ACPE certified educators