Preparing for Your Stay
At UNC REX Healthcare you can expect compassionate, superior care from highly qualified doctors and healthcare specialists.
To help the registration process move smoothly, sign up for a My UNC Chart account prior to your hospital visit. Through My UNC Chart, you can communicate with your provider, fill out pre-registration forms, view some test results and pay your bills.
If you plan to deliver your baby at UNC REX, please fill out our Labor and Delivery Pre-Registration Form to streamline your check-in process at the time of delivery.
It is also important that you understand your Patient Rights and Responsibilities.
You may also wish to view the UNC REX Healthcare Campus Map or the UNC REX Hospital Map to familiarize yourself with the locations of our parking decks, clinics, and dining locations.
For any additional questions or concerns, you may contact us at 919-784-3100.
What to Bring
For a hospital admission, you will need:
- Health insurance information
- A valid photo ID
- Co-payment/ co-insurance
- The most recent labs or diagnostic test results such as an MRI, x-rays and EKG if you have them
- Physician orders and other paperwork provided by your physician's office
- Advance directives information
- A list of any questions you may have regarding your procedure or your stay at UNC REX.
For your stay, you will need:
- Eyeglasses, dentures, hearing aids or any other assistive devices you may need.
- A list of all current medications, dosages and schedules. There is no need to bring the medications with you. Your physician will evaluate which ones you should continue taking during your stay and they will be dispensed to you by the hospital pharmacy.
- Optional: Clothing to wear when you go home. There is a small closet in your room. However, to keep your clothing items safe, you may prefer to ask a family member to bring them when you are ready to be discharged.
- Optional: Battery-operated devices may be used in the hospital. These items include rechargeable shavers and portable radio/CD/mp3 players.
Bring valuables at your own risk. You are responsible for the security of any personal items. UNC REX Healthcare does not accept responsibility for items of value.
What NOT to Bring
- Large amounts of cash
- Plug-in electrical devices such as: laptops, DVD players, hair dryers, curling irons, electric shavers or radios
- Anything that might be easily lost or misplaced
Due to special wiring and safety codes designed to protect you and others, privately owned plug-in electrical appliances are not permitted in the hospital.
We are committed to providing a safe environment for patients and their families.
To ensure that you have a safe experience at UNC REX:
- Identify yourself. Wear your hospital I.D. bracelet at all times. If your bracelet comes off, ask your nurse to provide a new one.
- Check the information on your hospital I.D. bracelet to make sure that your name, birth date and medical record number are correct.
- Make sure that all staff members check your I.D. bracelet before any procedure, surgery or test is performed.
- Make sure that all staff members check your I.D. bracelet before any medicine is given.
- Ask questions if you do not understand. It is your body and your right to know.
- Talk with your healthcare providers about any concerns you have. If you think of questions when your doctor or nurse is not present, write them down so that you can ask them at a later time.
Your nurse may arrange for an interpreter to assist you if you are deaf or hearing-impaired, or if English is not your primary language.
Patient Orientation Video
At UNC REX Healthcare, we are committed to providing excellent care to our patients. We know you have many choices when it comes to healthcare, and we sincerely thank you for choosing UNC REX. Your safety and well-being is our utmost priority during your hospital stay. Please view our Patient Orientation video to learn what to expect during your stay at UNC REX.