Volunteering at UNC REX Healthcare has been a community tradition since the 1920s. Thanks to the dedication and generosity of the members of our community, UNC REX benefits from nearly 150,000 volunteer hours each year.
UNC REX Healthcare is in need of quality, caring people to become a part of our hospital volunteer family. We are currently looking for individuals who are compassionate enthusiastic, qualified and committed to making a difference.
Available Volunteer Programs
UNC REX Healthcare offers many unique opportunities including an adult, college and VolunTEEN program. All programs require an application, an interview and completion of a training course.
Required Time Commitment
All applicants are required to commit to a minimum of six months of volunteering in order to best serve the hospital. Applicants must be able to commit to volunteering on a weekly basis for 2-4 hours each week.
Cuddler Position Information
Thank you for your interest in the Cuddlers Program at UNC REX Healthcare. The first step toward becoming a volunteer is to apply online. Please submit a complete application including references, past work experience and/or other organizations where you have volunteered. All qualified volunteers at UNC REX complete a thorough screening process, which includes an interview.
We are currently looking for Cuddlers for the following times and days:
- Tuesday, 6 p.m. - 10 p.m. – (see requirements below)
- Friday, 2 p.m. - 6 p.m. and 6 p.m. - 10 p.m. (see requirements below)
- Saturday, 10 a.m. -2 p.m., 2 p.m. – 6 p.m., 6 p.m. - 10 p.m. (see requirements below)
- Sunday, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m., 6 p.m. – 10 p.m. (see requirements below)
Please submit a complete application for the Cuddler position if you meet the minimum requirements for this program!
Age 21 or older and willing to commit to a minimum of one year of service.
Prior to placement, volunteers must complete one year of volunteering at UNC REX in a clinical position.
Complete a four-hour classroom training seminar and complete 6 hours of orientation to the volunteer role in the NICU
Position requires excellent customer service skills and ability to make sound decisions.
A NICU Volunteer Cuddler is expected to volunteer for a 4 hour regularly scheduled shift once a week.
Shifts are between 10 a.m. and 10 p.m.
Due to the overwhelming interest in this position, the application process could be delayed several weeks to a month.
UNC REX has numerous volunteer opportunities in addition to the Cuddler Program. Our Volunteer Coordinators will review your application, conduct an interview and discuss other volunteer positions.
Newborn Care Fund
If you do not meet the requirements listed above or cannot commit to more than a year of service, please consider making a donation to our Newborn Care Fund.
Additional Volunteer Opportunities
You can find a variety of volunteer opportunities that cater to different interests and schedules.
REX Fur Friends
Become a REX Ambassador!
If you like to walk long distances, greet and engage with people, then join the REX Ambassadors! Volunteers are needed at the main entrance lobby and the medical office building (MOB) lobby to greet and escort patients and visitors to their destination within the facility.
Positions are available Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to noon and noon to 4 p.m. Please contact April Daniels, volunteer coordinator, 919-784-2286 for more information.
REX Hospital Open
The annual REX Hospital Open provides volunteers with the opportunity to support UNC REX while taking part in a professional golf tournament.
There are a number of volunteer opportunities available including: Walking Scorers, Marshals, Player Shuttle Services, Merchandise Sales, Hospitality Services, Pro-Am Services, and many more.
View all the volunteer opportunities and fill out an application at rexhospitalopen.com.
REX Wellness Centers
Craft Supply Volunteers and Donations
Groups have hosted car washes, yard/garage sales or simple asked for donations around a theme. Acceptable donations to be given to patients include:
- Fabric – Used to create sewing projects. At least one yard in length
- Yarn – Baby yarn and yarn for adult blankets.
- Magazines – Current (less than six months old)
- For Older Patients – Hand lotion, large print puzzle books, small bottles of hand sanitizers
- Visitors in Waiting Rooms – Individually wrapped non-perishable items (nabs, chips, protein bars, candy) Unfortunately, we are unable to accept homemade baked goods or meals.
- Pediatric Patients – UNC REX does not see many pediatric inpatients. Our young patients typically are in surgery, the lab or the emergency department. Donations of small/medium stuffed animals (under 16”) are appreciated. Unfortunately, we are unable to accept used toys.
- Special Care Nursery – New or gently worn books appropriate for small children. In the NICU specifically, there is a good amount of research to suggest the benefits that infants receive from being exposed to early reading. Infants whose parents read to them at bedside have improved stability, behavioral regulation, and auditory/language outcomes. Research also suggest that reading supports bonding/attachment for families.
This is a dedicated group of volunteers who work from home or various centers who produce over 12,000 items each year. The items support our patients. Many patients find it comforting to know someone cared enough to share their talents.
We are happy to accept the following items made by volunteers:
- Knitted and crocheted caps for newborns (download the template) Approximate size hat should fit on a soft ball with some give/stretch to it.
- Special tote bags are given to our cancer patients. Bag 18” By 18” with handles at least 18” See directions.
- Pillows for patients – Helps provide comfort to patient’s neck, back, or legs. Completed bag 17” tall x 10” wide
- Stuffed pillows for pediatric patients – Need to be 10” X 10 “ square or 11” X 11” square made of fabric of age appropriate design. Material can be poly cotton or fleece depending on the season and must be washable.
- Incubator Blankets - These will be used on top of incubators to keep light to a minimum. If knitted or crocheted, they cannot have holes penetrable by light. Should be 3'x3', or 3'x 4' and washable. Can also be made of material and quilted.
- Lap Robes - Light and heavy blankets are welcome. Can be any material. Should be 4' x 5' and washable.
During December, groups can schedule time to carol throughout the hospital including waiting rooms and patient floors. Call 919-784-2297 to schedule a time.
In addition to the satisfaction that comes from helping others, UNC REX volunteers are also eligible for several benefits including: