Whether you’re 14 years of age or over 90, UNC REX has more than 80 diverse volunteer positions making it easy to donate your time in a manner that suits both your interests and schedule.
Adult volunteer positions involve various levels of skill, challenge and involvement. Hours and days are flexible, however most positions require a two to four hour per week commitment.
- Complete an all-day UNC REX staff orientation session, and be trained in job-specific areas
- Complete pre-volunteer drug screening
- Complete health assessment to screen for Tuberculosis (TB), Pertussis (Whooping Cough), Varicella (Chicken Pox) and Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR)
- Complete a criminal background check
- Adhere to all UNC REX policies and procedures, including dress code
- Submission of two references from adults who are familiar with your work ethic and character
- REX Breast Care Center
- Wellness Centers
- Surgical Services
- Nursing Care Centers
- REX Cancer Center
- Patient Transport/Escort
- Information Desks
- Mail/Flower Delivery
- Patient Care Units
- Waiting Rooms
- Gift Shop
- Workroom (clerical projects)
- Newborn/Infant Hearing Screening
- Various Office, Receptionist and Data Entry positions
Cuddler Position Information
Thank you for your interest in the Cuddlers Program at UNC REX Healthcare. The first step toward becoming a volunteer is to apply online. Please submit a complete application including references, past work experience and/or other organizations where you have volunteered. All qualified volunteers at UNC REX complete a thorough screening process, which includes an interview.
We are currently looking for Cuddlers for the following times and days:
- Tuesday, 6 p.m. - 10 p.m. – (see requirements below)
- Friday, 2 p.m. - 6 p.m. and 6 p.m. - 10 p.m. (see requirements below)
- Saturday, 10 a.m. -2 p.m., 2 p.m. – 6 p.m., 6 p.m. - 10 p.m. (see requirements below)
- Sunday, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m., 6 p.m. – 10 p.m. (see requirements below)
Please submit a complete application for the Cuddler position if you meet the minimum requirements for this program!
- Age 21 or older and willing to commit to a minimum of one year of service.
- Prior to placement, volunteers must complete one year of volunteering at UNC REX in a clinical position.
- Complete a four-hour classroom training seminar and complete 6 hours of orientation to the volunteer role in the NICU
- Position requires excellent customer service skills and ability to make sound decisions.
- A NICU Volunteer Cuddler is expected to volunteer for a 4 hour regularly scheduled shift once a week.
Shifts are between 10 a.m. and 10 p.m.
Due to the overwhelming interest in this position, the application process could be delayed several weeks to a month.
UNC REX has numerous volunteer opportunities other than the Cuddler Program. Our Volunteer Coordinators will review your application, conduct an interview and discuss other volunteer positions.
Meet UNC REX Volunteer Aaron Brothers