Whether you are motivated to give back to your community or want to learn more about the health care field, you will find volunteering to be a rewarding and exciting experience at UNC REX Healthcare. Our college volunteer program offers students hands-on experience while working in a professional health care environment.
Placement areas may include, but are not limited to:
- Patient care floors
- Culinary and nutrition services - Contact Lyn Haft
- Physical therapy
- Same-day surgery
- Health Promotions and Exercise Science - Contact Anneke Hill
- Merchandising - Contact Mary Upton
- Medical Library - Contact Deniz Ender
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with UNC REX Healthcare!
2018 Summer Student Program
We are no longer accepting applications for the 2018 summer student program.
2018-2019 Semester Program
Applications for the Fall 2018/Spring 2019 program will be accepted beginning June 19 until July 19 at 5:00 PM. We are looking for applicants who can volunteer one day a week for a four-hour shift, Monday through Friday in the early morning or afternoon. It is a two-semester commitment.
Volunteers must be able to commit to a set schedule for the Fall semester (August 27 through December 7) and be able to commit to a set schedule for the Spring semester (January 14 through April 27).
College Volunteer Application form
- Must be enrolled in a college undergraduate or graduate program on a full-time or part-time basis.
- Volunteer at least one time per week for a four-hour shift. Most clinical volunteer opportunities are available Monday - Friday from 8 am - Noon or Noon - 4 pm. Clerical areas offer evening opportunities from 5 - 9 pm.
- During fall and spring semester program, you must be willing to commit to two semesters (12 weeks each semester). During the summer program, you must be willing to volunteer for 10 weeks.
- Complete orientation guidelines and be trained in your job-specific area.
- Complete pre-volunteer drug screening.
- Adhere to all UNC REX policies and procedures, including dress code.
- Be responsible for finding substitutes when unavailable for assigned shift.
- Complete health assessment to screen for Tuberculosis (TB), Pertussis (Whooping Cough), Varicella (Chicken Pox) and Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR).
- Submission of two references from adults who are familiar with your work ethic and character.