Whether you are motivated to give back to your community or want to learn more about the health care field, you will find volunteering to be a rewarding and exciting experience at UNC REX Healthcare. Our college volunteer program offers students hands-on experience while working in a professional health care environment.
Placement areas may include, but are not limited to:
- Patient care floors
- Culinary and nutrition services - Contact Karen Johnson
- Physical therapy
- Same-day surgery
- Health Promotions and Exercise Science - Contact Anneke Hill
- Merchandising - Contact Mary Upton
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with UNC REX Healthcare!
2019 Summer College Program
The college program is currently full for the summer of 2019.
2019-2020 Fall/Spring College Program
Applications for the 2019-2020 Fall/Spring College Program will be available online June 18-July 9, 2019. Online applications will be accepted until 5:00 PM on July 9. Any application submitted after 5:00 PM will not be considered.
The 2019-2020 Fall/Spring College Program will begin August 26, 2019, and run through April 17, 2020.
Thank you for your interest in the UNC REX College Program!
- Must be enrolled in a college undergraduate or graduate program on a full-time or part-time basis.
- Volunteer at least one time per week for a four-hour shift. Most clinical volunteer opportunities are available Monday-Friday, morning or afternoon shift. Clerical/Administrative opportunities are also available in the evening or on the weekend.
- During fall and spring semester program, you must be willing to commit to two semesters (12 weeks each semester). During the summer program, you must be willing to volunteer for 10 weeks. Please do not apply if you cannot make this commitment.
- Complete orientation guidelines and be trained in your job-specific area.
- Complete pre-volunteer drug screening.
- Adhere to all UNC REX policies and procedures, including dress code.
- Be responsible for finding substitutes when unavailable for assigned shift.
- Complete health assessment to screen for Tuberculosis (TB), Pertussis (Whooping Cough), Varicella (Chicken Pox) and Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR).
- Submission of two references from adults who are familiar with your work ethic and character. The person completing the reference form must be 21 years or older and cannot be a legal guardian or relative.
- The deadline for the application will be strictly adhered to. Late applications will not be accepted.