Whether you are motivated to give back to your community or want to learn more about the health care field, you will find volunteering to be a rewarding and exciting experience at UNC REX Healthcare. Our college volunteer program offers students hands-on experience while working in a professional health care environment.
Placement areas may include, but are not limited to:
- Patient care floors
- Culinary and nutrition services - Contact Karen Johnson
- Physical therapy
- Same-day surgery
- Health Promotions and Exercise Science - Contact Anneke Hill
- Merchandising - Contact Mary Upton
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with UNC REX Healthcare!
The College Volunteer Program and COVID-19
Due to the Coronavirus pandemic and its restrictions, all programs within volunteer services at UNC Rex Healthcare (including the college volunteer program) are currently on hold until further notice. Decisions regarding our spring, summer, and fall 2021 programs have not yet been made. Please continue to look to this webpage for the most current and up to date information. Thank you and stay safe.
- Must be enrolled in a college undergraduate or graduate program on a full-time or part-time basis.
- Volunteer at least one time per week for a four-hour shift. Most clinical volunteer opportunities are available Monday-Friday, morning or afternoon shift. Clerical/Administrative opportunities are also available in the evening or on the weekend.
- During fall and spring semester program, you must be willing to commit to two semesters (12 weeks each semester). During the summer program, you must be willing to volunteer for 10 weeks. Please do not apply if you cannot make this commitment.
- Complete orientation guidelines and be trained in your job-specific area.
- Complete pre-volunteer drug screening.
- Adhere to all UNC REX policies and procedures, including dress code.
- Be responsible for finding substitutes when unavailable for assigned shift.
- Complete health assessment to screen for Tuberculosis (TB), Pertussis (Whooping Cough), Varicella (Chicken Pox) and Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR).
- Submission of two references from adults who are familiar with your work ethic and character. The person completing the reference form must be 21 years or older and cannot be a legal guardian or relative.
- The deadline for the application will be strictly adhered to. Late applications will not be accepted.