Whether you are motivated to give back to your community or want to learn more about the health care field, you will find volunteering to be a rewarding and exciting experience at UNC REX Healthcare. Our college volunteer program offers students hands-on experience while working in a professional health care environment.
The application process for our 2022 Fall Semester College Program will be open July 25 - August 1. Please note that the application window may close early dependent upon how many applications we receive. Please submit your application ASAP to avoid missing the window. The 2022 Fall Semester College Program will begin on August 29 and will end on December 16. Please note that college students should not apply under the adult application form.
Placement areas may include, but are not limited to:
- Patient care floors
- Culinary and nutrition services - Contact Karen Johnson
- Physical therapy
- Same-day surgery
- Health Promotions and Exercise Science
- Merchandising - Contact Mary Upton
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with UNC REX Healthcare!
- Must be enrolled in a college undergraduate or graduate program on a full-time or part-time basis.
- Volunteer at least one time per week for a four-hour shift. Most clinical volunteer opportunities are available Monday-Friday, morning or afternoon shift. Clerical/Administrative opportunities are also available in the evening or on the weekend.
- Morning shifts run from 8am-12pm or 9am-1pm and afternoon shifts run from 12pm-4pm or 1pm-5pm dependent upon the area you are assigned.
- During fall and spring semester program, you must be willing to commit to two semesters (12 weeks each semester). During the summer program, you must be willing to volunteer for 10 weeks. Please do not apply if you cannot make this commitment.
- Volunteers will only be allowed two absences.
- Complete orientation guidelines and be trained in your job-specific area.
- Adhere to all UNC REX policies and procedures, including dress code and COVID-19 precautions.
- Be responsible for finding substitutes when unavailable for assigned shift.
- Complete health assessment to screen for Tuberculosis (TB), Pertussis (Whooping Cough), Varicella (Chicken Pox) and Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR).
- Submission of two references from adults who are familiar with your work ethic and character. The person completing the reference form must be 21 years or older and cannot be a legal guardian or relative.
- The deadline for the application will be strictly adhered to. Late applications will not be accepted.
- Applying to the program does not guarantee you a volunteer spot.
The College Volunteer Program and COVID-19
Due to the Coronavirus pandemic and its restrictions, the college volunteer program at UNC Rex is subject to change dependent upon hospital guidelines and policies.