Welcome to the UNC REX Volunteer Family! You are joining a group with a proud history of service.
The 1,400 volunteers, who range in age from 14 – 94, are an integral part of the patient experience at UNC REX. Volunteers make a difference in the lives of our patients, their loved ones, and our co-workers. Last year volunteers donated over 146,000 quality service hours to the organization.
To make General Orientation more convenient for you, we have placed our requirements online. Before you can attend General Orientation, please complete the following steps.
1. View Welcome Aboard video by UNC REX Healthcare President Stephen Burriss.
2. Read the General Orientation Self-Study materials.
3. Read the Volunteer Handbook.
4. Watch the wheelchair safety video.
5. Read the UNC Health Care Code of Conduct.
6. Complete General Orientation Validation test. A score of 80 must be made to continue the volunteer onboarding process. When you complete your test, an email will be sent to Volunteer Services verifying your score. This needs to be completed before you attend your onboarding session.
7. If you have not already done so, please complete your health screenings. You will not be able to begin volunteering until Volunteer Services has received notification from Employee Health that you are cleared. From September through April, this includes documentation of flu vaccine. Employee Health will be glad to provide you with a flu shot free of charge or if you receive your vaccine elsewhere, we will need written documentation including who provided it for you.
8. Report to the Volunteer Services Department on the day scheduled for your onboarding. At this time you will purchase your uniform. Please bring cash or a check made out to UNC REX Healthcare for $12.00. Your identification badge picture will also be taken this day.
9. Once you have completed your entire onboarding process, the volunteer coordinator who interviewed you will contact you to schedule your first day of volunteer training.
For Questions or Assistance
We look forward to getting to know you as you begin your volunteer experience. If you have any questions or difficulty completing these steps, please email or call the coordinator who interviewed you – Sherry Mendenhall at 919-784-2297 or Paula O’Briant at 919-784-2210.
The Volunteer Services Department team is here to assist you. Pictured (left to right) are Paula O’Briant, CHVM, volunteer coordinator; Melinda Scott, CHVM, CAVS, director; and Sherry Mendenhall, CHVM, volunteer coordinator.