The UNC REX VolunTEEN Program gives teenagers the opportunity to contribute to the community while exploring a career in the medical environment. The program provides teenagers with practical experience and practice while developing good work habits. High school sophomores, juniors and seniors ages 14-18 may apply.
VolunTEEN assignments are based on information provided by teens during the interview process and may include areas such as patient care units, day care, the recovery room, office support assignments and more. Teens whose parents work at UNC REX will be assigned to separate areas to avoid placing parents in a supervisory role.
- Complete pre-volunteer drug screening
- Complete health assessment to screen for Tuberculosis (TB), Pertussis (Whooping Cough), Varicella (Chicken Pox) and Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR).
- Submission of two references from adults who are familiar with teen’s work ethic and character
- Attend an orientation and obtain training in job-specific areas
- While volunteering, teen must wear a uniform consisting of a green UNC REX polo, khaki pants and a UNC REX ID badge.
- Teen must remain on hospital campus during work shifts, unless written permission has been provided by parents/guardians
2020 Summer Program
We are no longer accepting applications for the 2020 Summer Program. The 2021 Summer application will be available online, Tuesday, February 2, 2021 – Thursday, February 18, 2021.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering in the UNC REX VolunTEEN Program!
2020-2021 After School Program
Due to the COVID-19 restrictions, the 2020-2021 After School Program application process has been suspended. Updates will be posted here as they become available.
Thank you for your understanding and we hope you and your family stay safe and well!
- Required to volunteer one day per week, Monday through Friday, from 3-5 pm
- Program spans for the entire academic school year (September-May)
- Students must be at least 14 years of age and have completed their freshman year of high school.